The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just changed all filters and oil, changed transmission oil and filters.
I flushed the radiator.
This was done on my 2006 f-250 6.0 diesel power stroke 142,000k miles.
I was a liitle bit later to get done all this maintenance and I realize that driving over 75 miles/hr a electronic throttle control light was coming on my dash... In addition truck was like not running perfectly until she was totally warmed. My mechanic guy told me to do a full maintenance changing all filters and oils.. And I did.
This was done about 3 weeks ago and the truck was much better, I have had not go out of town so I cannot say if issue with electronic throttle control was resolved, but yesterday a new lightcame out on my dash !.. Now a service engine soon is in there.
I am not an diesel expert but affraid that this wouldbe a big and expensive problem.
I have not had any malfunction notice I had to drive to my home with this light on, and it was running well and smooth.
Some one can say something about it??

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update... I went to shop and code reader said it was a misfire in cylibder # 3... After 2nd & 3rd read it was showing same thing, we changed the inyector and cleaned cylinder # 3... After that we cleaned the egr valve.
After this we felt the turbo snd power much better, truck was much faster and smooth running.
A couple of hours later, service engine soon light came out again !! But truck is still running good !!
I really rather not to see any light in my dash screen, i am worried about it...
Any comment or suggestion ?

·
35 Posts
I have a 2000 F-250 7.3L and I'm getting the same Service Engine Soon light too. 187,500 miles on my truck.

Symptoms:
-the weather has been cold & wet lately. The Service Engine Soon light only comes on when I start the engine after it has sat overnight or sat all day at work. If I'm running around town on errands, the light doesn't come back on when I re-start the engine.

-when I turn the key I wait for the Wait To Start light to go out and then I crank it. Its taking about 15 seconds to turn over. The starter motor cranks fast for the first 10 seconds and then slows down and I can watch the voltmeter needle plunging towards the 5 volt mark. Sometimes the radio pre-sets are lost too. The Service Engine Soon light immediately comes on.

-But if after a few minutes I turn the engine off and then restart it, the light doesnt come back on.

-while I'm driving, the acceleration is sluggish at best no matter how much I floor it. But acceleration is fine once the engine has warmed up.

-I had a problem once or twice before with slow cranking in cold weather but it went away immediately each time I chucked some diesel additive in it. It hasnt helped this time around.

-I went to AutoZone and had them slap the diagnostic unit on but no codes came up.

Any ideas folks?

thanks,
Mark / Catch-All

·
13 Posts
Update... I went to shop and code reader said it was a misfire in cylibder # 3... After 2nd & 3rd read it was showing same thing, we changed the inyector and cleaned cylinder # 3... After that we cleaned the egr valve.
After this we felt the turbo snd power much better, truck was much faster and smooth running.
A couple of hours later, service engine soon light came out again !! But truck is still running good !!
I really rather not to see any light in my dash screen, i am worried about it...
Any comment or suggestion ?
Back to the shop for a code read I guess. Maybe the harness.

·
13 Posts
I have a 2000 F-250 7.3L and I'm getting the same Service Engine Soon light too. 187,500 miles on my truck.

Symptoms:
-the weather has been cold & wet lately. The Service Engine Soon light only comes on when I start the engine after it has sat overnight or sat all day at work. If I'm running around town on errands, the light doesn't come back on when I re-start the engine.

-when I turn the key I wait for the Wait To Start light to go out and then I crank it. Its taking about 15 seconds to turn over. The starter motor cranks fast for the first 10 seconds and then slows down and I can watch the voltmeter needle plunging towards the 5 volt mark. Sometimes the radio pre-sets are lost too. The Service Engine Soon light immediately comes on.

-But if after a few minutes I turn the engine off and then restart it, the light doesnt come back on.

-while I'm driving, the acceleration is sluggish at best no matter how much I floor it. But acceleration is fine once the engine has warmed up.

-I had a problem once or twice before with slow cranking in cold weather but it went away immediately each time I chucked some diesel additive in it. It hasnt helped this time around.

-I went to AutoZone and had them slap the diagnostic unit on but no codes came up.

Any ideas folks?

thanks,
Mark / Catch-All
They may not have the best code reader for this truck. Have it scanned for codes by a diesel truck shop. Cranking way too long. Possible bad glow plug solenoid/relay. Looks like this long cranking is starting to take affect on your cranking system. Probably be best to have the batts charged up and load tested. Then run a voltage drop test on cables and control circuit wiring. Also do a cranking load test on starter.

·
35 Posts
DeltaP - A fishin' buddy of mine runs a dealership's parts dept. He described my truck's symptoms to his diesel tech and he said the same thing - glow plug relay.

I shopped around and found the Duralast relay from AutoZone at $55 bucks. One of the 10mm nuts was frozen on the bolt and no amount of cussing, swearing, beer :beerdrink and sweat was getting that baby off. I had to buy some reinforced cutting wheels from Sears for my Dremel tool but I got that bolt problem out of the way and then some.

Installed the relay last night, no problems. The true test was this morning after the engine sat idle & cooled off for ten hours. Within two seconds of cranking after the Wait To Start light turned off and Ol' Blue fired right up!

THANK YOU! You and many others on here are why I tell all my diesel-owning friends to join The Diesel Garage.

Your advice saved me a lot of money from going to a local garage and having some mech fix my truck via "reconnaisance by fire" - in other words, keep slapping one part after another into the truck until they finally guess the proper repair, all at my expense. :nunu:

Catch

·
381 Posts
The glo plug relay wasn't my first guess. That circuit ,as a rule , doesn't throw a code. Sounded more like icp, but as long as the elay fixed it, GREATTT. Rock on.---Bob:goodluck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts