The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a ticking sound coming from my engine after changing my oil yesterday at 9800mi. I was wondering if anyone knows what this could be? Thanks

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
wrong weight of oil

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
How many qrts did you use?

·
606 Posts
There have been several threads started about the ticking sound coming from the engine after an oil change. I believe Matt a Spartan had a good explanation for it. I just hope is was posted after the December issue with the site. Do a search and I hope you can find it.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
Not sure then, maybe the lifters are dry after draining the oil and the idleing oil pressure isnt enough to fully pressurise them. Try driving it a few miles and see if the noise dosnt go away.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There have been several threads started about the ticking sound coming from the engine after an oil change. I believe Matt a Spartan had a good explanation for it. I just hope is was posted after the December issue with the site. Do a search and I hope you can find it.
Did a quick search but cannot find anything.

Not sure then, maybe the lifters are dry after draining the oil and the idleing oil pressure isnt enough to fully pressurise them. Try driving it a few miles and see if the noise dosnt go away.
Drove it around today at work, no luck.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
Hummmmm, I'm at a loss then.

·
1,415 Posts
ford says its normal, does it sound like a sowing machine?

·
Chirpin Tires...
1,402 Posts
i had the ticking right after my first oil change at 5000 miles...it slowly went away in the next few hundred miles, and i only get it on occasion at 19000 miles.

·
1,415 Posts
thats like mine, goes away after some miles on the oil but as soon as i change it it comes back. gets annoying

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is normal. All modern diesels have a similar tick. Mine does it and it only has 200 miles on it. Ford says it is present on all diesels but because the new ones are so quiet you can actually hear it. GM says the same exact thing. if you are concerned run it by the dealer and get it documented. good luck

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to run it by the dealer just to document it, but I think the noise is addressed in the by the tsb 08-19-5. Thanks for all the help.

·
31 Posts
If I hadn't read about it, I would have ignored it. Deisel's make noises. My question to Ford would be though " If its normal, why only AFTER the initial or subsequent oil changes and NOT from the factory?" I also have another question for those Bozo's " Why did my truck come from the factory with the oil reading CORRECTLY on the dipstick and then come from the dealer oil change reading OVEREFILLED and then you tell me that the correct way to read the dipstick it NOT to seat it?" How STUPID is all this nonsense from the manufacturer??!!??!! :bang::bang: (sorry for the rant)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a good question. I bet it has to do with oil weight. I am not sure about the 6.4s but the 6.0s use to leave the line with 10w30 oil. I would be the same is true for the 6.4. Maybe (maybe) the higher viscosity oil causes the noise. I would be interested if anybody who is running a thinner oil also has the tick/knock/tap...

·
2,183 Posts
yep like everyone else said nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts