The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2001 F-650 with the 5.9 Cummins.

Ever since it was 2 yrs old, I have had problems.

It has had (4) VP-44's

At least 7 lift pumps

All within 77,000 miles.

Over the last 4 years it has been to 4 different repair shops, including Cummins Power Systems in MD multiple times.

well, now it's gotten worse.

For the 1st 10 minutes the truck runs good. Then, after 10 minutes when the truck reaches 1800 RPM's the throttle gets erratic and loses power.

the truck bucks and nearly throws you through the windshield.

A few weeks ago the local repair shop replaced the lift pump. It ran GREAT for about a week.

Then it got real bad.

This week the truck repair shop has replaced:

- the lift pump again
- VP-44
- some sensors
-a fuel check valve on the back of the engine

and they checked all the wires for breaks, etc.

And the truck still isn't running right.

Could it be the ECM unit????

Has anyone seen this problem with the 2001 F-650's??

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
That's pathetic that they've replaced so many parts and not solved the problem.

Have the fuel lines been replaced?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duke said:
That's pathetic that they've replaced so many parts and not solved the problem.

Have the fuel lines been replaced?

no, the lines have not been replaced. It has crossed my mind that maybe there is a pinhole somewhere.

·
567 Posts
Cam sensor? Ive seen a few go bad without throwing codes and doing what your explaining. Odd since that it fixed for a while after they put a new lift pump on it. How does the inside of your tanks look? Engine grounds? Since it only does it when its warmed up id guess cam sensor the one in the hole behind the air compressor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dieselboy740 said:
Cam sensor? Ive seen a few go bad without throwing codes and doing what your explaining. Odd since that it fixed for a while after they put a new lift pump on it. How does the inside of your tanks look? Engine grounds? Since it only does it when its warmed up id guess cam sensor the one in the hole behind the air compressor.

Dieselboy -

It's pretty aggrevating.

The local truck repair facility tested all the sensors.

They told me that the Cam Sensor was bouncing the needle all over the place. So they say they replaced it. But - after alledgedly replacing - the problem is still there.

But see, they did not bill me for ANY of the work done - which is why I used the word "alledgedly". So I have no idea what exactly they did.

They also told me that there is a check valve behind the block(?) that has never been replaced. they said that Cummins recommends that the check valve be replaced each time the VP-44 is replaced. I believe they cleaned it.

I am not sure about the engine grounds. They say they checked all the wires.

So at that point they were at a loss.

They called some engineer at Cummins and talked some technical stuff. The service advisor told me one of the pumps (I'm mnot sure which one) is putting out 25 pounds of pressure. He told me that the engineer said that 25#'s is too much and it should be 15 pounds. So the engineer told them to check the RETURN LINE for a blockage. I dropped the truck off and needed it the next day (as they already had it for an extended period of time). The advisor told me they disconnected the return line and the problem still existed. But I'm wonderin if they got busy and didn't have time to actually check the return line.

When I went to pick the truck up the advisor slapped the keys down on the counter and said "here you go sir", and turned and started to walk away. I politely and cheerfully said "do you have any more ideas?". He replied "I didn't build the truck, I can't fix the truck", and walked away. No offering me an explanation of what they tried, what they did, etc. He didn't even mention me paying them for their time.

About 4 veteran diesel mechanics have mentioned the possiblity that it could be a bad fuel line.

Today I spoke with Cummins Power Systems outside of Baltimore (huge cummins facility), and the service advisor told me that they have had a few Fords with defective fuel lines and some with bad fuel tanks.

When they replaced the VP-44 it did run better - but the problem is still there.

And when it is cold, it runs GREAT for the 1st ten minutes. Which is odd, cause if it is a fuel problem, then I don't think a cold engine or a warm engine would make a difference.

My truck doesn't have an air compressor (it has hydraulic brakes). Where is the Cam Sensor? I wanna look at it and see if it looks new.

Thanks for any help you can give!

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
DVS said:
They called some engineer at Cummins and talked some technical stuff. The service advisor told me one of the pumps (I'm mnot sure which one) is putting out 25 pounds of pressure. He told me that the engineer said that 25#'s is too much and it should be 15 pounds. So the engineer told them to check the RETURN LINE for a blockage.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Sounds like a lift pump is what they were talking about. lift pump failures are the main reason for VP44 failures.

I would find a different diesel mechanic. sounds like yours has a major case of "we could care less" maybe I would try to make an appointment at the Cummins shop.

·