The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what a 2001 24V with a edge comp box and 4" exhaust would lay down in horsepower? I raced a kid here in town with my 7.3 and while I beat him out of the hole and up to around 30mph, he then quickly caught me and passed me, just like I was on jacks.

I know my stroker isn't the fastest thing around and it only puts about 305hp to the ground. I was just wondering if it's possible he had more than just that Edge box?

This is in no way a bash on either truck or motor brand. While I do drive a Powerstroke, I would have nothing against driving a Cummins. I have never been bias to either. Just looking for some insight from anyone that would know more about this subject

·
4,158 Posts
A buddy of mine has the same truck with the edge comp, and 100 horse injectors, he has 4in exhaust on the way and he loves his comp he had the Van Aaken smart box before, and he likes the comp alot more, put it up to 5 you'll beat alot of people.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
He definately had tranny work done....my buddy has a '02 dodge with the Comp box and he said his isnt all that fast. His doesnt smoke hardly either, so if that guy had some serious smoke he prolly had sticks, or he had a drag Comp. If he just had a Comp box he is pretty close to the same hp. as yours, and without some kind of tranny mods he should have never got you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It smoked a lot, I mean my truck will lay down some smoke out of the hole but once it spools up the smoke pretty much disapears. Not that Dodge though, his smokewd the hole way down.

And he just didn't beat me, he pretty much killed me...

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
I'd say he has sticks at the least....like I said, my buddies comp box has a little pre-boost smoke and then its gone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a hard time believing all he had was that chip. I mean he beat about as bad as my buddy's 05' 6.0 with a platinum edge juice.

My truck is no slouch and I haven't had another 7.3L beat me yet, but like I said. It's only 305hp. I just didn't know how much horse a cummins with the comp box would make.

·
1,055 Posts
Agreed, he must have injectors, my comp smoke pretty good out of the hole, but it dies out once the turbo comes in. Sound like he isn't telling the whole truth:poke:

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
I agree, there were definately some injectors involved and I would say some pretty good tranny work too. I have 100hp injectors and even on 5x5 I lose most of the smoke once the truck spools up.

I don't know what mods you have on your truck, but I have a buddy with a F250 that has intake, exhaust, and a Diablo tuned up all the way ( I don't know what their highest program is) and I can pretty much walk all over him with my setup.

I would say, get some more tricks and then go embarrass him back. That way you both will have an excuse to keep buying MODs:sly: :sly:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know guys, I don't think my checkbook is deep enough to keep this Powerstroke in contention with you Cummins boys.

·
1,705 Posts
So how does a CTD run with a Edge Comp and 100hp injectors? I had a guy smarting off to me {online of course} about how he would just destroy my truck with his 98' CTD with an Edge Comp and 100hp injectors,but a stock tranny. I have a 475hp D-Max,so I just laughed at him. What do you guys think?

·
30 Posts
if he has a stock trans . you will eat him up . i have a 01 ctd 80hp sticks ,super 40 , 4" , juice w attt , my tranny is stock and cries like a baby . his probally shifts bad like every other stock 47re with all that power on it

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
I agree. I'm surprised he would even offer to run with a stock tranny. I could barely get any power to the ground before my tranny mods.

Of course he could be sandbagging you. NOT that us Dodge guys would ever do that:sly:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 01 with a filter, 5in. exhaust and a comp box put down 322hp and 787ft pounds of torque. I ran a slow 16.014 in the quarter, it's a 5 spd. But my truck only lets out a little puff of smoke till the turbo comes up. I say he's not telling you everything.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
My trany lasted 3 months with the Edge and stock trany. It could still scoot when you power braked it before take off though, I think that had to do with the line pressure.

A piece of advice for the people with stock transmissions in there stock Dodge/Cummins and Ford/Powerstocks.

If you got a Dodge/Cummins buy a totally different aftermarket trany, T/C, Cooling system, and valvebody when yours dies. It's not worth the hassel rebuilding it yourself. You'll be chasing hard parts until you cry.

Ford/Powerstrokers aftermarket is still a good idea but I think you can get away with rebuilding it yourself. As long as a solid V/B and T/C is added.
But diffently clean out your cooling system!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I raced that 24V again last night. This time he didn't find it so easy to outrun me. I added a Terminator dual hpop to my truck about a month ago. It definatly made a difference, I actually beat him this time, but just by about fender.

As close as it was, I think we could race each other 10 times and trade off everytime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts