The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US: Launch set for Ford’s new Super Duty trucks
By: John Mortimer, Wednesday, August 19, 2009, AutomotiveWorld.com

Ford will start production of its 2011 MY Super Duty (F250-550) F-Series trucks on 15 February 2010. The new vehicles will form the beginning of Ford’s fight-back in the diesel pick-up truck market.

The trucks will be the first to carry a new in-house designed and built engine – Scorpion, a 6.7-litre V8 diesel unit. Previously Ford has sourced its diesel engines from Navistar International in the form of the 6.4-litre PowerStroke diesel, but friction between the two companies forced Ford to embark on new families of diesel engines, including for the first time a large diesel for the North American market.

Job 1 date for Scorpion is set for November 2009. The engine will have a compact graphite iron (CGI) cylinder block and production capacity is set at 170,000 units a year. Ford will manufacture Scorpion at its Chihuahua Engine Plant in Mexico where a second machining and assembly line is available to make the 4.4-litre V8 diesel that will also appear in F-Series trucks in due course. It too will use CGI blocks.

Ford is to announce further details of the new trucks in September.

·
Hacky!
1,197 Posts
US: Launch set for Ford’s new Super Duty trucks
By: John Mortimer, Wednesday, August 19, 2009, AutomotiveWorld.com

Ford will start production of its 2011 MY Super Duty (F250-550) F-Series trucks on 15 February 2010. The new vehicles will form the beginning of Ford’s fight-back in the diesel pick-up truck market.

The trucks will be the first to carry a new in-house designed and built engine – Scorpion, a 6.7-litre V8 diesel unit. Previously Ford has sourced its diesel engines from Navistar International in the form of the 6.4-litre PowerStroke diesel, but friction between the two companies forced Ford to embark on new families of diesel engines, including for the first time a large diesel for the North American market.

Job 1 date for Scorpion is set for November 2009. The engine will have a compact graphite iron (CGI) cylinder block and production capacity is set at 170,000 units a year. Ford will manufacture Scorpion at its Chihuahua Engine Plant in Mexico where a second machining and assembly line is available to make the 4.4-litre V8 diesel that will also appear in F-Series trucks in due course. It too will use CGI blocks.

Ford is to announce further details of the new trucks in September.
I find it humorous you use the terminology "large diesel" for the North American market. By many standards, that would be considerd small. Large diesel I feel is 10 liter or more.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
1/2 ton with the 4.4L??

I thought that was dead?

·
1,606 Posts
I find it humorous you use the terminology "large diesel" for the North American market. By many standards, that would be considerd small. Large diesel I feel is 10 liter or more.
Didn't Ford build BIG Diesels back in the day for the old LTL's and Louisville Trucks?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Except for the engine being built in Mexico, it sounds good to me.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
Didn't Ford build BIG Diesels back in the day for the old LTL's and Louisville Trucks?
L9000's and CL9000's, there may be others but those are the two I remember.

Reactions: fine69

·
2,126 Posts
6.7 and 4.4 sound pretty good to me!

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
I see it now

Ford will manufacture Scorpion at its Chihuahua Engine Plant in Mexico where a second machining and assembly line is available to make the 4.4-litre V8 diesel that will also appear in F-Series trucks in due course.

·
Hacky!
1,197 Posts
I don't think anyone caught the irony of "large diesel" considering the initial statement. The 4.4 liter a large diesel? Even if it wasn't, do you believe the 6.7 is large diesel? and in fact as far as I know, the largest diesel ford ever produced was the 7.8 liter. In fact the engines that went into the LTL 8000 and 9000 series were either the Cummins L10 or CAT 3208's. And possibly the 7.8 liter? Not sure on that one. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe I am right on all the points I just listed. But I cannot give ford all the credit on their engine building capabilities, just from the fact all that we don't know what happened between them and IH. The irony looms over Ford for me knowing that these diesels are very similar in displacement and configuration with IH's diesels especially between the 4.4 Vs 4.5.

·
299 Posts
Ford also had a 7.8 Ford Brazillian that they pit in the 9000's

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
No, they weren't big or very powerful. One was a 6.6L which developed a whopping 205HP. the other was slightly larger at 7.8L and developed a max 270HP.

If the were found in an L-9000, it would be underpowered in anything more than a single or local delivery tandem.

I had a 6.6L Ford diesel in an F-700 and it was a turd.... actually it was a weak turd.

The 7.8L was pretty respectable, but not up to a DT466 or DT530, 8.3L Cummins, etc..

Made in Brazil and throw away (parent bore) blocks made them cheap to build & buy but not rebuildable in frame.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Just remember that the 4.4L is originally a ROVER designed product from the EU. That doesn't mean it's bad, just not "new".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts