The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one ever seen or heard of ram air or a cold air intake that really gets air from outside of the engine bay (not through the hole in the fender). I want to try something like this but I'm worried about water, slush, ect. that might make it through the filter.

I've seen the headlight removed, but I can't really do that because I drive it everyday, do they use filters when they do that?

I'm thinking maybe removing a fog light and rigging up something through a flat filter and maybe the stock airbox.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I've wondered about removing the right battery and some how funneling some air from up front to the filter. Never acted on those thoughts yet.

·
1,189 Posts
I was thinking of moving the batter to the back side of the fender and moving the filter up where the battery was like on the duramax's then it draws the cooler air better??

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
From my studying of IAT temps...

Ok lets look at my BHAF setup...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/BOMBS/bhaf/bhaf.htm

Regardless of what ever I done to help cool the intake air it response the same. My IAT temps are always +40*F over outside temp. So if it 30*F outside my IAT temps will be 70*F at highway speeds.

Less boost the warmer the IAT temps become. This is because of less air flow the head temp effect the temp of the sensor. So in town my IAT temps could 40-80*F above outside temps.

Just something to consider for spending money on cold air systems...:shrug:

·
Registered
212 Posts
just run one battery. i took the passenger side battery off like 6 months ago. even on cold mornings (like high 20* without being plugged in) it starts fine (i have the optima yellow top battery), and i have all the extra room. im planing on putting the K&N right behind the headlight. should work good. another thing i thought about was getting a airbox and running one of the A/C vents into it (a ture cold air intake) but i havnt figerd out how it would work when you wanted heat:shrug: i might be doing some exparamenting with that idea not sure if its worth it though?
Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
The only way your going to know if your setup works is to measure the offset of the IAT sensor temp compared to outside air temp.

When someone can reduce the IAT sensor temp below +40*F offset then I be listening... :poke:

·
106 Posts
just don't put a tube from the airbox down to the bumper.... a guy in the truck club I used to be in from Nevada had this, in Havasu he went through a decent mud puddle and hydrolocked his engine....

I wasn't there as 2 hours before this my trans blew up... LOL but saw the video.

Oh, trans blew cause I had gotten a transmission flush 2 days prior, not cause of what I was doing... 45mph on pavement.....

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
A tube from the cowling to the air box is much safer... :damnit

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
When someone can reduce the IAT sensor temp below +40*F offset then I be listening... :poke:

Uhm.......... Your almost sounding like it can't be done. I'm kind of taking that as a challenge.

(I have to get my shop built first)

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Uhm.......... Your almost sounding like it can't be done. I'm kind of taking that as a challenge.

(I have to get my shop built first)
The only reason I say it can't be done is watching IAT sensor temps from start up. The IAT sensor matches coolant temp which matches outside temp.

So as the coolant warm it tend to warm the manifold and increase the manifold temps too. So the IAT follows coolant temp a bit too. So no matter how cold it seem to get out here the IAT always seems to follow the +40*F rule... But with winter fronts in its a +50*F rule now...

So basically the outside temp is 20*F and then IAT temp would be 70*F... Which isn't bad...

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
What about modifying one of those Ram air hoods sold for the gassers. Can this be done? They are supposedly true, functional ram air hoods.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I've seen a few modified hoods with ram air intakes put on them. It looked to be quite the PITA to do though...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I cut a hole in my firewall. I guess its ok, but it would take some extremely cold air to make a difference in the intake, by the time it goes through the turbo, intercooler, and intake its going to be about the same temp as without an intake. I just have one because the stock airbox cannot keep up with the demands that most turbo's make at high boost pressures.
Has anyone ever heard good results from aftermarket intercoolers?

·
454 Posts
azdrt said:
just don't put a tube from the airbox down to the bumper.... a guy in the truck club I used to be in from Nevada had this, in Havasu he went through a decent mud puddle and hydrolocked his engine....

I wasn't there as 2 hours before this my trans blew up... LOL but saw the video.

Oh, trans blew cause I had gotten a transmission flush 2 days prior, not cause of what I was doing... 45mph on pavement.....

Your tranny shouldn't have failed from a flush. I had the dealer do mine and it actually runs better. If they hooked the purge tubes up wrong they will cause the check valve in the coller to stay stuck closed. I know cause VIP did my neighbors truck and they must have hooked it up wrong.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
I have seen a few different setups like the idea here. First one was just to a stock 3rd gen ram intake location by using 3" PVC IIRC routed to the airbox from down under the bumper area.

Second one was kind of similar but on a 2nd gen ram; it had a scoop on custom front bumper with a open and closed setting, and it had 2 seperate 2 1/2" pipes running to a air filter that was moved to the location where they are on a 3rd gen...

just my $.02

·
Registered
113 Posts
to tell ya the truth. By the time the air gets through the turbo, its heated back up. The intercooler would determine the final temp of the air. So in my opinion a ture "Cold Air Intake" would do nothing for you. The gain with the intakes would be more flow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i like the question on the aftermarket intercoolers. do they really help? and also the aftermarket intake elbows, do they help any? and how much?

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
I too believe the gain would be in the intercooler if you were after temperature. Now I do believe power would be greatly affected by flow. That is the advantage of the ram air setup in my mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts