The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few weeks ago I took my truck in for new ball joints and ended up needing everything but a track bar on my truck. So today I stop by the video store to get some movies and turn onto the the hwy and hear a scraping noise good thing my window was down pull into the parking lot by the pizza place and look under truck to find the driver side tie rod on the ground. Looks back at bill in truck over a grand into it to have it fall out what gives... They had to rebearing the driver side hub etc while they were there. do you think the tie rod may have wobbled out the hole it seats into? What all should I have them replace?

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did get lucky that I just cruised on out of the parking lot to head home. had I drove like usual I would have ended up smacking a tree or oncoming traffic as it was on the driver side. I will see what they come up with to make me happy.

·
165 Posts
yeah i would to, one of my tie rods fell off my old 89 dodge when i was leaving to go to school but luckly when i turned the wheel it fell off in my driveway.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Sounds like someone forgot to put cotter pins back in the castle nuts...:shrug:

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these ones do not have any in them I looked under the truck and there are 0 in them and no holes. is this a new crappy design or did they just not get the job done right? only had about 1k miles on that one. 2 weeks I am taking it back down for a alignment and so the can check it all out again.. They are doing this all for nothing atleast.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Then the only thing I can think of is that they re-uesd the old Nylocks (if that is what's on there).

Whatever is on the tierod there has to be a locking fastner of some type to keep it from separating like it has happen to you...:shrug:

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah thats whats on there. Or they didn't tighten the new nylock on when seating the tierod and didn't check it all out when done or there is a serious issue where the tierod attaches... we will see. Truck towed the horse around fine yesterday and it still steers well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts