The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got a letter in the mail the other day, saying that my vehicle, then it listed my license plate# was reported to some local Agency for Excessive exhaust smoke. The letter then went on to say that even though your vehicle is a diesel and some smoke will normally occur, excessive smoke isn't necessary and that I should take it to a mechanic and have the problem looked into. No fine nothing, just Oh you have a problem you should get that fixed.

Just thought that some of you might get a kick out of that. I'll scan it in and post it up or something of that nature. I think I'll get it framed or laminated and leave it in the truck. My truck is now certified by the state to officially smoke a lot. I guess I'll plug the map sensor back in.
Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Good ol' LA. They have been doing that for years though Sean. Hate to break it to ya.

You should go to LAX and start reporting airliners for excessive pollution!

·
Registered
550 Posts
that is somthing else. i have never got a letter atleast not yet. a guy around here kept getting tickets for smoke, so he had a warning sticker made that said warning vehicle makes excessive smoke. now he doesnt get tickets because people are warned. the cops dont mind now

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i'd seen the stickers, to report smoking vehicles, but I never knew what they did about it. And I'd never heard of anyone getting the letter. Its just kind of funny, I always wondered what happened when they did that.
Sean

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Sean, hate to break it to you man, but I have a letter from the southern CA clean air management district for my first gen (sold bout year ago), though letter is from oh, I dont know how long ago (could look). I keep it with me at all times in my glove box even in my new truck. LOL LOL

IIRC I got my letter at least 2 years ago from the hippies.

I had the intent of framing it as well but never got around to it. LOL

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Oh, and I called them and told them that my truck pollutes less than thier waste of energy to answer the phone/me calling them, and the waste of paper for them to write me a 2 page letter with enclosed "please conform to this checklist to fix your vehicle, then return it in enclose envolope" BS. Upon me telling them that, they hung up on me.

Must have realized they were dealing with a hillbilly who knew his stuff. LOL LOL

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Come to Idaho we dont have that problem yet...

If anyone want to raise hell about how much smoke my truck is making... I will ask the evironmentist to quit burning down my forest... They are creating more smoke and polution with a "control burn" than my truck will make in a lifetime! LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ican be a bit of an a-hole when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I'd be awfully tempted to do a big black-and-white-smoke burnout right in front of their office.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
I think they see my sooted bumper, and the moster arse stack sticking through my bed so people dont really ride my arse anymore.. THats a bunch of BS Sean,..

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
Come to Idaho we dont have that problem yet...

If anyone want to raise hell about how much smoke my truck is making... I will ask the evironmentist to quit burning down my forest... They are creating more smoke and polution with a "control burn" than my truck will make in a lifetime! LOL

BRING UP AIRLINERS TOO! They are killing us.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
I actually had a talk with an environmentalist chick last night and she didnt like the fact that I know what I know and im not just an ignorant idiot. She drives a hybrid car and I told her I respect the clean-ness of her car but it still produces more of some kinds of emissions than any diesel does. LOL

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Let's not bash Environmentalists here. I probably could be classified as one, but don't claim it because I don't feel like putting myself in a the same class that contains too many close minded morons.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Phily, I am not bashing them. I recycle and put my cigarettes out in proper recipticles. It was just funny how much she was into "that truck you have is so horrible". I let it go and had a normal conversation with the young lady. I mean, opposites attract, do they not?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
haha, we took a trip to Zion out west and at the time our bus was smoking pretty good and we got talked at, not by environmentalists, but HIPPIES! legit hippies, we shut'em up right quick when we told them we ran bio100, and hybrids, those batteries are horrible to make and dispose of, factories have huge dead zones where the acid rain falls

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Yeah, my point exactly. The girl I was talking to was an environmentalist, not a hippie. She is actually going to school to be a marine biologist. Knows her stuff, just does not know much on automotive emissions.

Hippies scare me. And theres lots around here. AHHHH

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
NukleusX said:
Phily, I am not bashing them. I recycle and put my cigarettes out in proper recipticles. It was just funny how much she was into "that truck you have is so horrible". I let it go and had a normal conversation with the young lady. I mean, opposites attract, do they not?

Then just bring up biodiesel, that should get her in the sack.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
yeah too bad im too poor to make my own (or buy the equipment) right now, and its nearly impossible to find around here. ive thought about a wvo conversion though that costs money too...

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
My dad runs a boarding facility and the lady who owns it has a 06 CR that has 450 miles on it and she just poured 6 GRAND! into a Veggie conversion...and SHE DOESNT DRIVE THE TRUCK! Funny thing is when I came home from school, I ask her where she planned on gettin' veggie oil from...and she honestly looked at me clueless! she has no idea where she's getting it from! So I told her it was basically against the law to let a truck like that sit there...

Nathaniel

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Phily, until your environmentalist self can buy me a IDI truck, hush. LOL I would be more than willing to run WVO or bio in my current truck. The problem is not being able to find it, as well as not being able to afford a bio diesel system (make my own).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts