The Diesel Garage banner

Excurcion diésel

3K views 50 replies 2 participants last post by  bismic 
#1 ·
I apologize for having published in Spanish and I thank very much the person who answered me told them that I have a 2003 excursion with 6.0 and 258,000 miles working well so far I love the 6.0 I would not put another engine even if they gave it to me and I heard that the 2006 and 2007 are as good or even better than the 7.3 law that Ford had fewer claims with these 6.0 years than any 7.3 year my question is can I put 2006 parts in my 2003 to have an engine of the same level as a 2006 or I have to change the whole engine thanks for your opinions

#2 · (Edited)
In my opinion, the 03 High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) is a unreliable component (one of the biggest issues with the 03). You can not put the 06 HPOP into the 03 engine. I suppose everything can be done, but if you wanted to attempt the conversion, it would be costly and would require the engine to be removed. To get reliability out of the 03 HPOP, you can simply buy an Adrenaline pump from Dieselsite. I will put a link below.

Injector damage from low fuel pressure (less than 45 psig) is a problem. The best thing to do there is to install a fuel pressure sensor and gauge. Lots of choices on how to do that. We can post more on it if you want. There was an update to the fuel pressure regulator spring. The one installed in EVERY 6.0L was too weak. The updated spring (blue spring) can be bought from any dealership and easily installed.

Even though the early EGR coolers are better than the later EGR coolers, I would still buy and install an EGR cooler from BulletProofDiesel.com

Pretty much all FICMs were weak )all year models). Poor soldering and some weak electronic components. Several companies upgrade them - FICMrepair.com and CircuitBoardMedics.com.

The water pump on the 03 was smaller than the late 04 and up model years. You can install the later water pump but ... you MUST BUY a new front cover to make that change possible. In my opinion it is worth it. Once the front cover is changed out (and you can not just use the 06 front cover), you can use the 06 water pump.

The 03 ICP sensor is located behind the turbo. In that location, it gets very hot. It frequently fails. The 04 ICP sensor is a bit more reliable and can be used. However, the location is bad because of the heat. You will always have a potential for failure of ANY sensor in that location. You can NOT change the location of the ICP sensor easily. It is best to just use the 05 sensor and have a spare (along with having the tools in the truck to change it out when travelling).

Even the 05 and up model years came with an alternator that was too small. You should have an alternator that puts out 140A or larger.

The early EGR valves gad reliability issues. The late 04 and up EGR valves were improved. You can use the 06 EGR valve in the 03.

One of the biggest problems with the 6.0L was the coolant. The Ford Gold coolant would gel up when it got hot i the EGR cooler. It would also drop out silicate particles. These plugged up the oil cooler. EC-1 (Caterpillar) rated ELC coolant is best. It will hold up well to the heat and will prevent corrosion and cavitation. If your engine has the Ford Gold in it, then the coolant system should be thoroughly flushed and the EC-1 ELC coolant should be put in.

Every 6.0L owner needs a gauge system that will continuously show the driver the values of 5-6 engine parameters(PIDs). Some of the most important ones are the coolant and oil temperatures. Once the engine is TOTALLY warmed up, if the engine oil EVER gets higher than "15 degrees hotter" than the coolant temperature, then the oil cooler needs to be changed out.

The oil cooler was improved in the later year models and can be used in the 03 engine. That said, the real problem was the coolant.

All the above discussion, plus what I posted in the earlier post), should get you the reliability you need.

Reactions: Excurcion diesel
#3 ·
Oh, and make 100% sure that the oil filter cap is an OEM cap (not a taller aftermarket cap), and that you ONLY use the OEM oil filter, ONLY use OEM fuel filters, and change out the transmission fluid EXTERNAL filter every 15k-20k miles.

I also flush the transmission fluid every 15k-20k miles.

#4 ·
Well I see you have been on twice since my post, but no comments or questions.

What is up with that?

#5 ·
[QUOTE = "bismic, post: 1422647, member: 249"]
Well I see you've been twice since my post, but no comments or questions.

What's up with that?
[/APPOINTMENT]
I thank you very much for all your information, it is very useful if you can send me links recommending where I buy any part, it would be very beneficial for me I wanted to ask you if you can recommend a place for me when I have to fix the heads, I also asked you if I can use injectors 2006 in my 2003 and if you recommend any company also some recommendation for a petroleum pump

#6 ·
I am not sure where you live, but Auto Nation White Bear Lake has great prices. You can log in to there web site or call them and ask for Internet sales (not sure if they have anyone to speak Spanish though).

Yes you can use the 2006 injectors in the 2003.

High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP):

#7 ·
The DieselSite HPOP is expensive, but worth it.

We can post part numbers for you if you need them, just post what else you need.

#11 ·
I don't think that you should change it for an 06. Just upgrade the weak areas that I have already posted.

As far as more power, IMO you should have the FICM programmed by FICMRepair.com with the Atlas 40 tune.

Getting a 4" exhaust might help some and I like the Stage 1 turbos from KCTurbo. That said, if I were you, I would wait on the turbo upgrade. See how all the other changes fit together first.

#12 ·
[QUOTE = "bismic, post: 1422661, member: 249"]
I don't think that you should change it for an 06. Just upgrade the weak areas that I have already posted.

As far as more power, IMO you should have the FICM programmed by FICMRepair.com with the Atlas 40 tune.

[URL unfurl = "true"] FICM Tuning [/ URL]

Getting a 4 "exhaust might help some and I like the Stage 1 turbos from KCTurbo. That said, if I were you, I would wait on the turbo upgrade. See how all the other changes fit together first.
[/ QUOTE]
What do you tell me about the injectors, which do you think I should put in and which oil pump do you advise me, and with respect to the arp there is something specific that I should take into account when buying them as well as the heads where you advise me to do them in your moment thanks once more for everything

#13 ·
[QUOTE = "Diesel excursion, post: 1422666, member: 143951"]
[QUOTE = "bismic, post: 1422661, member: 249"]

[URL unfurl = "true"] FICM Tuning [/ URL]

Getting a 4 "exhaust might help some and I like the Stage 1 turbos from KCTurbo. That said, if I were you, I would wait on the turbo upgrade. See how all the other changes fit together first.
[/ QUOTE]
What do you tell me about the injectors, which do you think I should put in and which oil pump do you advise me, and with respect to the arp there is something specific that I should take into account when buying them as well as the heads where you advise me to do them in your moment thanks once more for everything

#14 ·
Mark thank you for everything...
I posted something about injectors and ARP head studs also would like your opinion about fuel pump
Last but not least I have a 4r100 transmission what do you think if I put in 5R110w if possible I have a 6.0 trying to get more out of it... If you know of anyone that has done this before if it plug on plug.
I need to reinforce the transmission who would you recommend

#20 ·
Mark thank you for everything...
I posted something about injectors and ARP head studs also would like your opinion about fuel pump
Last but not least I have a 4r100 transmission what do you think if I put in 5R110w if possible I have a 6.0 trying to get more out of it... If you know of anyone that has done this before if it plug on plug.
I need to reinforce the transmission who would you recommend

#15 ·
VERY SORRY! Nothing in a 6.0L engine will transfer into a truck (or Excursion) with a 7.3L. I thought your 03 Excursion had the 6.0L in it. Again, my apologies.

#17 ·
[QUOTE = "Excurcion diesel, publicación: 1422672, miembro: 143951"]
[QUOTE = "bismic, publicación: 1422671, miembro: 249"]
¡LO SENTIMOS MUCHO! Nada en un motor de 6.0L se transfiere a un camión (o Excursión) con un 7.3L. Pensé que tu 03 Excursion tenía 6.0L. Nuevamente, mis disculpas.
[/CITA]
MY excursion is 6.0 my transmisión 4r100

#18 ·
[QUOTE = "Excurcion diesel, publicación: 1422672, miembro: 143951"]
[QUOTE = "bismic, publicación: 1422671, miembro: 249"]
¡LO SENTIMOS MUCHO! Nada en un motor de 6.0L se transfiere a un camión (o Excursión) con un 7.3L. Pensé que tu 03 Excursion tenía 6.0L. Nuevamente, mis disculpas.
[/CITA]
MY excursion is 6.0 my transmisión 4r100

#19 ·
mark my excursion is 2003 6.0 l powerstroke with a 4r100 transmission remember that this year was when the 6.0 started so you find them with both engines I asked you several questions regarding fuel pump transmission injectors and something else I am waiting for your Answers that have been very useful to me once again, thank you very much

#22 · (Edited)
I answered those questions earlier. Not sure why you can't see the answers. Anyway, I will repeat them below.

#21 · (Edited)
What is confusing me is that a 6.0L does not match up to a 4R100 transmission. It requires a 5R110 (also called a 5R110W).

All 6.0L engines came with a 5R110 transmission.

The PCM of a 6.0L contains the TCM,....and it would not know how to control a 4R100.

#23 ·
The 06 injectors can be used in the 03.

The 03 injectors can be used in the 06, but you may not want to do that. There were many improvements to injectors over the years that increased their reliability,

The fuel pumps (HFCM) are the same for all model years.

As stated above, ALL 6.0L engines came with the 5R110 transmission and any of them can be used in any model year.

If you truly have an 03 Excursion with the 4R100, then I can't explain it.

#24 ·
[QUOTE = "bismic, publicación: 1422685, miembro: 249"]
Los inyectores 06 se pueden utilizar en el 03.

Los inyectores 03 se pueden usar en el 06, pero es posible que no desee hacer eso. Hubo muchas mejoras en los inyectores a lo largo de los años que aumentaron su confiabilidad,

Las bombas de combustible (HFCM) son las mismas para todos los años del modelo.

Como se indicó anteriormente, TODOS los motores de 6.0L venían con la transmisión 5R110 y cualquiera de ellos se puede usar en cualquier año de modelo.

Si realmente tiene una 03 Excursión con la 4R100, entonces no puedo explicarlo.
[/CITA]

#25 ·
[QUOTE = "Diesel excursion, post: 1422688, member: 143951"]
[QUOTE = "bismic, post: 1422685, member: 249"]
Injectors 06 can be used in 03.

The 03 injectors can be used in the 06, but you may not want to do that. There were many improvements to the injectors over the years that increased their reliability,

The fuel pumps (HFCM) are the same for all model years.

As stated above, ALL 6.0L engines came with the 5R110 transmission and any of them can be used in any model year.

If you really have a 03 Tour with the 4R100 then I can't explain it.
[/ QUOTE]
mark, I thank you very much for all your clarifications, they have been very useful to me, the reason why I wrote to you asking about the transmission change was because, as I told you before, my truck has 258 thousand miles and I thought to improve it in all possible areas and the transmission is one of them I live in the south of Florida in a transmission workshop they told me that they could give me a 5r110w that was better than mine after your clarification call the dealer with the vin number and it is indeed like you You have really said that I thank you very much for all your time and your clarifications that have been very useful to me

#26 ·
Yeah, the later 5R110's had a few improvements over the early ones. They will all "interchange" though.

#27 ·
I have been looking at different suppliers to buy the cover on the front of the engine where the low pressure oil pump goes, there is one that you can recommend, also on certain occasions the digital control of the ac turns off and after a short while when I turn off The engine and I turn it on again, I don't know what it has, you have an answer for that, I appreciate it very much

#28 ·
I buy my parts from Auto Nation White Bear Lake. For parts like the Front Cover, I stay with OEM (Motorcraft) parts.

Your problem with the A/C randomly shutting off is probably the battery saver circuit in the Instrument Cluster (also called the Hybrid Electronic Cluster - or HEC). Mine does the same thing. I can simply turn the head lights on and off and it will restore the proper function of the A/C. Eventually that little trick" will fail to work. When that happens, I will send the Instrument Cluster in to Circuit Board Medics for repair. They do excellent work. They will repair the Cluster and change out any bulbs in the "Dash Panel" that are bad. It would be a good time to ask them to upgrade your Instrument Cluster to all LED lights, if that appeals to you.

#29 ·
I buy my parts from Auto Nation White Bear Lake. For parts like the Front Cover, I stay with OEM (Motorcraft) parts.

Your problem with the A/C randomly shutting off is probably the battery saver circuit in the Instrument Cluster (also called the Hybrid Electronic Cluster - or HEC). Mine does the same thing. I can simply turn the head lights on and off and it will restore the proper function of the A/C. Eventually that little trick" will fail to work. When that happens, I will send the Instrument Cluster in to Circuit Board Medics for repair. They do excellent work. They will repair the Cluster and change out any bulbs in the "Dash Panel" that are bad. It would be a good time to ask them to upgrade your Instrument Cluster to all LED lights, if that appeals to you
mark what happens with the front cover of the 6.0 is that my engine is 2003 and I want to use a 2006 water pump and motorcraft does not do that so I asked you if you recommended me to someone regarding the excellent ac your information as always but I would be very grateful if you could write me the name of all the parts that I must send to repair thanks for everything

#31 ·
For the A/C problem, all you need to send in is the Instrument Cluster. That is the same as the dash panel with all of the gauges. It is more than gauges, it is an electronic control module also and the relay that fails is one that is soldered into one of the printed circuit boards.

To change the Front Cover, you also need to change the front engine oil seal.

Parts list to upgrade FROM the 03 front cover, TO the 04 front cover, a new lower radiator hose, and coolant overflow Degas Bottle hose. The 04 front cover will accept the 06 water pump.

The 04 front cover: part # 4C3Z-6019-C
(NOTE - do NOT use the smaller 03 water pump with this front cover. It will fit, but not pump water adequately)
Front cover seal kit: part # 4C4Z-6020-AA
Front crankshaft seal (and wear ring): part # 3C3Z-6700-BA
Degas Bottle Lower Hose: part # 5C3Z-8075-CA
Lower Radiator hose: Depends on if you have 4WD or not:

04-07 4WD (Lower Radiator hose) 4WD​
5C3Z-8286-DH​
04-07 2WD Lower Radiator hose) 2WD​
5C3Z-8286-A​

Cheapest price for OEM parts:

Front seal and wear ring install tips:​
FreedomRacing.com sells the removal and installer tools (Stallion Tools)​
Seal Wear Ring Removal tool: OTC 303-762 or ST-130 (Stallion Tools)​
Seal Installation tool: OTC 303-761 or ST-107 (Stallion tools)​

#33 ·
Mark has honestly been a blessing for me that you take the time to answer all my questions, your answers have been very helpful to me, I bought the fuel pressure regulator called the blue spring with Rudy's performen, I do not know if it is a good choice for me. I would like to hear your opinion like the fuel pump that you recommend I put the oem or 'I put one of the accessories market and been looking at and there are several what I can not understand is what is the benefit with the 200 gallon pumps for time if you could explain me I would appreciate it thank you very much for everything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.