The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one question regarding exhaust brakes...
it appears most exhaust brakes come on anytime the brakes are applied, here is my question, is there a fuel shut off solenoid when the exhaust brake is on.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
no they come on when the switch is on and you are off the throttle, the throttle lever hits a little switch by the pump and activates it, its got nothing to do with applying the brakes

·
243 Posts
hmm so thats why i heard a 3rd gen 24 valve cackle between shifts like that.. my old boss had a truck and the only way u could activate a brake of that sort was by putting your foot under the accelerator pedal and liftin' it up. he had like a vaccuum pull knob for the shut-off mounted on the stick. I want one but can't afford it yet...

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i believe that some units get their signal from the brake switch...really doesnt make any sense that taking your foot off the gas will turn the exhaust brake on...i do understand that there is a " master" switch to turn the system on or off, but something must control it other than not having your foot on the gas pedal...some systems work on vacuum, some on compressed air and some have an electrical solenoid to close the exhaust " butterfly" valve...
i do know that on some 18 wheelers there is a fuel shutoff when the exhaust brake is on...(im not talking a bout a jake brake either...! ) which does have a fuel shutoff... just wondering if any of the systems in pickup's have a fuel shutoff...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
No fuel shutoff that I know of. My dad's 02 has a micro switch on the clutch and the gas pedals, plus the master switch. Push either the clutch in or accelerate and the brake shuts off.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
DBogo said:
no they come on when the switch is on and you are off the throttle, the throttle lever hits a little switch by the pump and activates it, its got nothing to do with applying the brakes
:whs mine has a switch on the throttle pedal, and the switch on the shifter as a master on/off

The article that you linked was about someone who switched it to be activated by the brakes because the didn't lie it coming on and off everytime they got off the gas. I use my switch on the shifter to solve this problem, works great. I only turn it on when I want it

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
wistlnwoodchuck said:
hmm so thats why i heard a 3rd gen 24 valve cackle between shifts like that.. my old boss had a truck and the only way u could activate a brake of that sort was by putting your foot under the accelerator pedal and liftin' it up. he had like a vaccuum pull knob for the shut-off mounted on the stick. I want one but can't afford it yet...

Needs to adjust the switch. Loosen the mounting screws and move it closer to the pedal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts