The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,
So I have an exhaust leak.
A few weeks ago I tore out my exhaust and up pipes, everything. Looking at the y-pipe and everything else, I found the exhaust leak to be coming from where the down-pipe meets the turbo.

The turbo is in great condition except for the mating surface of the down-pipe it is heavily pitted. I thought I ground it down smooth, but my leak persists.

My question is: does anyone know of anything that I can use as a sealant or a gasket to put there?
The highest temp RTV i can find is 600 F. there are some exhaust tapes I've found, but they say they make a permanent bond (and we all know the turbo can come off quite a bit).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

·
3,051 Posts
Reactions: Rellick

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the turbo flange.
I saw that stuff.
I was kind of hoping on something that would be easier to do in place (without making a permanent seal), but that would probably work if I pulled the turbo. Hmm...

Once again, Thank you Harry!

Reactions: harry6.0

·
3,051 Posts
Might be able to just use some JB-Weld applied to the turbo flange, let it dry and sand it smooth so just the pits are filled in. When you said...I thought I ground it down smooth...hopefully no metal was ground away to where the sealing surface is not flush or wavey. A new v-band clamp can do wonders too if the old one is tweaked or bent in any way.

Harry

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were pretty conservative and even when grinding, just trying to get all the pits off.

The issue I saw with JB weld was that it it only goes up to 400-500 F. being that it would just be a little to smooth it out, that might work too.

I had thought of using some exhaust gasket material and sandwiching it in with some of the 600 F copper RTV from permatex.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
And you're sure it's the downpipe and not the turbine inlet at the Y of the up pipes? The turbine inlet to y-pipe is the hardest thing to align and properly seat, and if you had everything apart, I'd start it cold and give that connection a quick feel for leaks. This would be the first time in ten years I've seen someone post that the V-band connection on the downpipe is the source of the leak.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir, even soot inside of the clamp.
When I pulled all of it off, the y-pipe had no soot anywhere and I put on the inlet clamp before I tightened 'em back to the exh manis. I also replaced the pass up-pipe with a straight pipe (egr delete).

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to a machinist today, he actually recommended pyro putty. Said he's seen guys put holes in turbos and fix it with the stuff. Hot side even. I guess I'll go that route at some point and just do it real thin and even. Wish me luck!!!

·
721 Posts
I am surprised no one makes a copper seal for those turbo flanges. I've installed many turbos that were pitted but none leaked.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried to make a copper gasket, but it wouldn't lay flat. I must be lucky. I've been that way with this truck. =) I found some 2000° silicone type stuff that I'm going to try when I get a chance to dig in there. I'm going to test it on a couple pieces of metal first just to see how permanent it might be.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BKEBOU?pc_redir=1403509224&robot_redir=1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts