The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I got a 51" Donaldson muffler that has 5" exhaust through it and had it welded in to a 5" delete pipe. Behind all of this will be a single stack kit with a 7" MBRP black mitre. Since I have had a stack on the truck before, I knew that drone was something I did not want. Exhaust noise really isn't a big deal to me anyway, especially with the stock turbo's. The plan is to see how much this muffler quiets down the hair dryer noise and how good of a job it does getting rid of the drone I know all to well. Some will probably think I am crazy for putting such a big muffler on the truck, but I have my reasons.

As far as restrictiveness goes, this muffler flows more air than your typical Magnaflow flow through diesel muffler, so that isn't going to be an issue. It is designed as a high flow, high performance muffler. Next week I should have everything completed. The stack will be in either Monday or Tuesday, so by the end of next week I should have finalized pictures and a video.

Here is what I have so far...

·
780 Posts
sounds like a good idea keep us informed because when I delete I would like to know what muffler to go with.

·
215 Posts
You know to an untrained HP, that might as well be a DPF...LOL

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE - I have everything I need for the exhaust to be completed. The only problem is there are going to have to be some fabrications to make it work properly. After doing some measurements today I ran in to a few small issues, but it's nothing my exhaust guy can't handle.

Here are some pics (crappy iPhone pics) of everything that will be used...

7" MBRP stack

4" elbow, 5" to 4" reducer, and an FTE stack adapter plate

Another picture of the FTE stack adapter plate, which by the way is a VERY nice piece!

And here is everything grouped together that I am using.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So due to major length issues, the stack setup would not work. The muffler/delete pipe combo measured 78" in length, which put the end of it right at my stack hole. Also, in order to keep the same length of the original delete pipe, the muffler will come in to contact with the transfer case. Basically what has to be done in order for the muffler to even work, it will have to be shortened about 10-12". That will make the muffler part roughly 32-35" in length. This can be done luckily since there is about 17" total inch work of open space inside the muffler.

As for the stack setup, I was able to sell it to a buddy that was in the market for one....at no money lost (or gained). I then purchased a 5" aluminized MBRP DPF back exhaust and a 6" black MBRP tip. Once the muffler is shortened some, it will go in the straight part of the first section of DPF back exhaust. The new exhaust is pictured below. Everything should be completed next Wednesday since that is when I have an appointment with my exhaust guy.

On a side not, does anyone know a place to get really good high temp exhaust paint? I want to do the aluminized exhaust black. Thanks in advance!

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything was completed yesterday. I should have videos posted up by the end of the week.

As far as sound goes, it was a drastic change. Idle is very quiet now, not quite as quiet as stock, but it's close. It has a quiet rumble to it. When in the throttle, it is still quiet but the exhaust note is high pitched. There is a lot of turbo noise, just not the typical hair dryer sound most of us are use to with a straight piped 6.4. I did lose that deep, throaty noise you get when on it, but the new sound is so unique that I really like it

A few pics...

As you can see here, my exhaust guy built the tail section how I wanted it. I will be using high temp paint to cover all that up this afternoon.

·
1,415 Posts
Looks good, cant wait to hear it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts