The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Formerly Powerstrokin350
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, I was wanting to put stacks on my '93 7.3IDI and was wondering should I pull from the Y pipe into a 4" or what if I ran true duals into their own stack? Could running duals cause problems, and if not what size should I run with duals?
Thanks y'all haven't let me down yet.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
You can run true duals as long as you run a balance pipe, either an H-pipe or an X-pipe will work. At that point they would balance out and sound good. Now, assuming you we're going to run 2.5" dual piping into the stacks, the other option would be to consider using a Y-pipe. Running 2.5" from the manifolds into a good quality manufactured Y-pipe from someone like Flowmaster or Magnaflow, and into a single 3.0" system will provide the pressure balance to the exhaust you need to get even flow from all the cylinders.

Another reason I bring the Y-pipe up is about 20 years ago when I was still building my knowledge base of things automotive, I did some rather extensive testing of exhaust systems for trucks used for towing. I fouls that with stock manifolds 2.25" or 2.5", whichever fit the manifold best, merged into a good Y-pipe and run through a single 3.0" system produced the best torque. With headers the best was 2.5" into a Y-pipe and out 3.5" piping. Your 7.3IDI won't flow anywhere near the air volume of a 460 Ford or 454 Chevrolet, so the 3.0" would truly be best.

And at the same time, any single system will make make adapting an over the counter dual stack kit a whole lot easier.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts