The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Dodge. No Mods yet. I did straight pipe the exhaust. It sound good although it seems to resonate too much for me.. I was thinking of going to 4" or 5 " to see if that would help. What are the advantages of 4 versus 5 and will it make much differance in sound since it will still be a straight pipe. Thanks for all the advice....

·
3,514 Posts
It should help quite a bit. I straight piped my 12v and the drone was real bad. When I switched to 4inch, that went away. Personally I think the 5inch drones a little more than the 4inch, but it sounds so much sicker that it is worth it. I have a 4inch on my 2000 right now, but I'm getting a 5inch in the near future. I have a friend with a 5inch straight on an 01 and that thing is wicked. It sounds like a peterbuilt whereas mine just sounds like a diesel on steriods.
Sean

·
Registered
88 Posts
As far as better performance from 4" or 5" you wouldnt feel it or detect it on a graph. 4" straight piped still drones where as 5" really has none. Personally I like the sound of 4" but the lack of droning on 5" is nice too.

I have 5" straight pipe on my 01 right now FWIW

·
31 Posts
Well I can say like everone else 5 in. is the way to go. I had 4in. on mine before and like it, but I had found a really awesome deal on some 5in. And I will never go any smaller The sound is out of this world and pisses a bunch of people off and also is not car alarm friendly :evil: !!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
i'm looking into the same thing...what about stacks? any advantages/disadvantages to a regular 5inch exhaust?

·
31 Posts
stubbs031 said:
i'm looking into the same thing...what about stacks? any advantages/disadvantages to a regular 5inch exhaust?
Well, really the advantages to disadvantages are really up to you. Looks wise I think stacks really stand out and you don't blow smoke all over the side of someones car or truck, people get pretty upset about it :sly: but they will get over it. I like the pipe run out the back for that reason, so all those ricer punks or the others that think that a big o' diesel can't race get a little something extra for the effort when I just leave them behind :Insane:

·
454 Posts
sstockton said:
It should help quite a bit. I straight piped my 12v and the drone was real bad. When I switched to 4inch, that went away. Personally I think the 5inch drones a little more than the 4inch, but it sounds so much sicker that it is worth it. I have a 4inch on my 2000 right now, but I'm getting a 5inch in the near future. I have a friend with a 5inch straight on an 01 and that thing is wicked. It sounds like a peterbuilt whereas mine just sounds like a diesel on steriods.
Sean

I got an MBRP cool duals 4 inch turbo back. I bought the muffler delete kit. It souds so sick cause once it turns into duals there isn't as much pressure at all so it sounds awsome.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
I got mine and I really like it! its a lot louder drone then I thought it would be and I havnt even sp'd it yet! for 340 shipped SS it was WAY worth it!

Nathaniel

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
stubbs031 said:
I think stacks look silly, but they are a legal advantage if your turbo blows up passing a car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts