The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, I just joined the site and had a couple of questions bout exhausts. 1st off my new LB7 diesel is stock and its quiet as hell (my dodge was way louder) and it is pissin me off. What would happen if I just cut the muffler out and had it as a straight pipe (fume issues)? Would it sound loud and awful, or just loud as hell? And would I gain any power or damage anything from a straight pipe? Wouldnt it affect backpressure ? Another question is could I maybe just drill out the muffler? I dont do a hole lot of mechanicin on my truck so I am guessin that a few holes in the muffler would be the easist thing for me to do (a redneck friend of mine told me but his truck is worth 700 bucks mine is worth 20k, so I dont wanna destroy it). Also eventually I wanna get smokestacks (income tax return time) so this straight pipe thing would just be a quick fix for my sound issue, but itd still be a 3 inch pipe, the stacks will be 4 or 5 and they will be professionally installed (by a real mechanic...lol). Thanks for any input you can give me.

·
1,409 Posts
Don't drill out the muffler, that's just dumb. Ive had mine stragiht piped for a few years now and it is just fine. Sounds awesome when you get on it. I would like to upgrade to a larger exhaust so I can install a muffler and not affect my egt's. Think hard about installing stacks, they take up room in the bed, get warm, cost a bunch of $$ and make a mess. Here's what I would do: 1. straight pipe it, if you take it to a muffler shop it shouldn't be anymore than $50. 2. get some gauges (egt, trans temp and boost) 3. Buy a tuner that will give you around 100hp. But that's just what I would do.

Turbocharged engines don't need backpressure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
mckey73 said:
Don't drill out the muffler, that's just dumb. Ive had mine stragiht piped for a few years now and it is just fine. Sounds awesome when you get on it. I would like to upgrade to a larger exhaust so I can install a muffler and not affect my egt's. Think hard about installing stacks, they take up room in the bed, get warm, cost a bunch of $$ and make a mess. Here's what I would do: 1. straight pipe it, if you take it to a muffler shop it shouldn't be anymore than $50. 2. get some gauges (egt, trans temp and boost) 3. Buy a tuner that will give you around 100hp. But that's just what I would do.

Turbocharged engines don't need backpressure.
What he said, may want to get a tuner that has more potential down the road when and if you ever have a trans built.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
I just bought my Dmax last night and it has a 5in straight piped exhaust on it and it sounds great :Thumbup: . Not too loud, maybe to the soccer mom driving her mini van, but I dont care about that. I can say that a straight 5in will not wake up my 1yo in the truck when I romp on it, so in my book its good to go.

If your dash already has a trans temp on it, then dont buy another one, just get boost and egt setup, mine are in the overhead console. Looks clean and not in your way. For the moment, cut your cat and muffler, and you will really hear the truck then.

Tony

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, If i just cut the muffler out wont I have fume issues inside the truck? I think I may swing ove to the a muffler shop and see how much they'll charge me to straight pipe it out the back (the stock diameter piping), and how much more it would cost me to straight pipe a 5 inch exhaust out the back. I really like smokestacks, and wouldnt miss the bedspace (used to having a tool box there anyways) but If the price is right and he sound is good then I may settle for that, and put the money into a lift kit instead. Do any of you guys reccomend a good chip that would have a setting for "daily driving" (mpg enhancement) then for "Redneck driving" (power) because I cant afford to drive to work and get 10mpg but on the weekends in the mudd id love to hit a switch and get bigger BALLZ. Thanks again guys your a huge help!

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what do i need the other two gauges for (EGT and boost), or is that just for when I get it chipped up? Id definatly like to straight pipe it this weekend if money allows but if the gauges are nescessary too, it may have to wait.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
codyr6 said:
Thanks for the help guys, If i just cut the muffler out wont I have fume issues inside the truck? I think I may swing ove to the a muffler shop and see how much they'll charge me to straight pipe it out the back (the stock diameter piping), and how much more it would cost me to straight pipe a 5 inch exhaust out the back. I really like smokestacks, and wouldnt miss the bedspace (used to having a tool box there anyways) but If the price is right and he sound is good then I may settle for that, and put the money into a lift kit instead. Do any of you guys reccomend a good chip that would have a setting for "daily driving" (mpg enhancement) then for "Redneck driving" (power) because I cant afford to drive to work and get 10mpg but on the weekends in the mudd id love to hit a switch and get bigger BALLZ. Thanks again guys your a huge help!
EFIlive with a DSP2 or DSP5 switch. Will let you switch custom tunes on the fly. Take your money for a lift and save it for a transmission build, its the first weak link! As far as your muffler goes, just go buy some 3.5" pipes and two band clamps for it and bam your done.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
I just bought my Dmax last night and it has a 5in straight piped exhaust on it and it sounds great :Thumbup: . Not too loud, maybe to the soccer mom driving her mini van, but I dont care about that. I can say that a straight 5in will not wake up my 1yo in the truck when I romp on it, so in my book its good to go.

If your dash already has a trans temp on it, then dont buy another one, just get boost and egt setup, mine are in the overhead console. Looks clean and not in your way. For the moment, cut your cat and muffler, and you will really hear the truck then.

Tony
you got a dmax now!?? hell yeah brother

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
EFI live might be a bit excessive for what your doing. I would go with a switchable box tuner if you don't plan on being in the "Big" horsepower game eventually. EFI live is a software program you can purchase but if your not a "tuner" you will need to either buy or find some freebee tunes that are available.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
Nasty Girl said:
EFI live might be a bit excessive for what your doing. I would go with a switchable box tuner if you don't plan on being in the "Big" horsepower game eventually. EFI live is a software program you can purchase but if your not a "tuner" you will need to either buy or find some freebee tunes that are available.
Theres tons of tunes available. When i got mine I just asked people to share tunes with me. I have over 60 tunes that people were eager to share.

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
tahoedmax said:
Theres tons of tunes available. When i got mine I just asked people to share tunes with me. I have over 60 tunes that people were eager to share.
True but be VERY carefull who's you use!!!

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

Hi everyone, I went today to have them striahgt pipe my exhaust but all they have is 3 inch pipe and the stock diameter is 3.5inches and they were gonna do it with the smaller pipe but I thought this would be kind of a choke point and didnt know what the effects of this would be, they only wanted 30 bucks to do it but I dont want anything bad to happen to the engine with this being more narrow, just at the muffler region. Let me know what you guys think. Right now im just looking to enhance the sound a little bit for the cheapest amount possible without damaging my truck

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tahoedmax said:

he said he couldnt bend the pipe.... i was just gonna go buy some large diameter pipe too but aparently the bender is the problem and noone else can bend it either. He told me I could order it prebent for 150 bucks but I was like screw that ****, Ill just save a few hundred more and add a 5 inch straight and not fool with it. what are the downsides to the 3 inch piping? Maybe If i buy the 4ft section of pipe it wouldnt need to be bent, would I have any clearance issues, and clamping issues?

·
1,409 Posts
Do you just have a muffler or do you have a cat also? If you just have that big arse muffler you can use a straight piece of pipe. Lemme know and I will take a photo for you when it's light outside.

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all i see is one big canister (the muffler) and the input to the muffler is about 4 inches lower then the exit, that is why he wanted to bend it, please let me know, I will go buy some 4 ft pipiing if he can just run it straight back without it interfering with the spair tire or anything else

·
1,409 Posts
Cut that stupid canister looking thing out and replace it with a piece of straight pipe. You just cut the ends on angles to match it up to the existing pipe and weld it.

Attachments

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good point ill ask the guy at the muffler shop why he couldnt do that, thanks bro

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.