The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage to replaceing the cat converter with pipe? Im sure its not legal. But would it help or hurt my 5.9?

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
Not a huge power gain, but going to a 5" TBE, no CAT but still a muffler, I got 16 RWHP and 31 LBFT of TQ. But you will certainly see a mileage increase like southern said.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But not having the back pressure that the cat holds on the engine wont hurt me any? Its got 4" on it already.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of taking cat converter off. Beating the insides out. And welding a peice of 2'' or 3'' inside it. The whole length. That way it would create a little back pressure on the engine. Good idea or not?

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
It's an alright idea but you're really not gaining anything by having too much back pressure on these engines. Plus you wanna keep your EGT's down.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just knocking the insides out would be the best then? Just wasnt sure if the non back pressure would b an issue.

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
So just knocking the insides out would be the best then? Just wasnt sure if the non back pressure would b an issue.
Not at all, go for it these things need to breathe.. Your main cause of backpressure actuly happens at the turbo not the cat but the cat is still a restriction down the line. Knock it out and get a good high flow Muffler..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts