The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new to me 01 Dodge. I don't have a pile of money to spend on exhaust right now so I was thinking of just a straight pipe and tip. Dumb question but can you do this, how does it sound, and will it hurt the truck at all. I was told a diesel needs back pressure. Thanks for all your help

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Lots of people have done this. I have never heard it personally. I think some have had issues with the exhaust droning or resonating but I am not sure. You can get a full 4" system for $300. I would recommend saving up the money and just do it that way from the start.:Thumbup:

·
4,827 Posts
All engines need back pressure, but the turbo on the engine creates enough backpressure. After the turbo, you want to reduce the backpressure as much as possible.

You'll love the straight piped sound. sounds like a 18 wheeler. :D I've been straight piped for over 4yrs., even before the stacks went on.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, straight pipes are wicked. I did my 12valve myself the first time, and just went to semi exhaust shop and got some 4in pipe and fittings. 60 bucks, had it dump in front of the rear wheels, sounded great and it may help with your spool up a little bit. The lower the pressure is on the downpipe side of the turbo, the faster the air can move through the turbo, causing it to spool up quicker.

With that said, it is a quick way to get it done, but you can get a full four inch exhaust, minus a muffler that dumps in front of the rear wheels, for $239 from Rip Rook http://sourceautomotive.biz/sa_dodge-exh.htm. That's what I would do if I were you.
Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts