The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever heard of a 7 inch exhaust from the transfer case back?? what do you guys think that would to??? im planning on ether a 6 inch or 7 inch not sure yet?? opions?
Ryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
7" that seems like it would echo down the pipe to much? i would think that it would sound like straightpipe underwater. but im sure you could put any size on........by the way, nice truck

·
243 Posts
what's the point? it seems like more work and more money for no gain... but i am curious what will a 7 inch exhaust do for the performance? i don't think anything....

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I think it will drone really bad and cost a lot to get fabbed up/bent. I'd won't have any affect on performance with a normal sized DP

:2cents

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
I wouldnt go any bigger then 5inch piping..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks guys, idk i thought it would be different but the price is way more then i want to spend. do you guys think 5 inch is big enough or should i do 6 inch?

·
formally dodge97ctd-sc member #12
2,001 Posts
had 5 on my dodge...didnt sound too much different from 4....lil deeper roar but wasnt as loud

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
What size is your downpipe?

5" is more than enough. If you do the math the area inside a 5" pipe is 56.25% larger than a 4" pipe. And 6" has more than double the area of a 4"

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya true, its a 4 inch DP soon to be 5 inch though. im just thinking sound, what do you guys think it would sound like with 6 inch??

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'd be afraid of a bad drone, heck at that size it could be considered an echo LOL

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Bigger the DP... quieter the truck is... if you go too big you could also hurt ur performance... I going 5in DP straight back to the tail pipe..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya i might do 5 inch now, 6 and 7 are way to expensive and i want to be able to put a muffler on it if i had to

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
they used 6 an 7 inch exhaust systems on old fishing boats and trawlers with the 5.9 cummins in it, they droned so bad you almost wanted to jump over the side. i cant imagine how you could stand 5 inch let alone 7 inch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey just curious, you wouldnt happen to have a dp for a 99 24 valve bigger then a 3 1/2 inch would ya? because right now my egt's without the box being on are running about 1500 degrees which isnt good, so im needing a bigger down pipe hoping to cool it down... when i turn my box on i can peg the 1600 degree gauge with now problem. thanks

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
:whs on the turbo. Other thing you could do is a 5" system, then take your stack and adapto it to a really long 7" tip (to the axle or thereabouts) so people behind you or someone just taking a casual glance would think it's a 7" exhaust. But once again on the drone/echo issue...........

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont have any drone with the stack setup, its all 5 inch underneath to. im not sure i might keep the stack for awile. i messed my truck up last night, so the exhaust can wait.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts