The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on the in-pan transmission filter that late job-1 (and later) trucks have that filters 100% of the fluid instead of the 10% the external below the bell housing filters?

I would like to swap to the internal filter, and remember a thread where someone swapped to the newer style in-pan and replaced the pan itself at the same time, to accommodate it.

Any help would really be appreciated!

·
164 Posts
i too would appreciate this bit of info..

ZeroOne, if you haven't found them already i found the external canister filter on amazon for $80 versus the $160 the dealer wanted.

·
68 Posts
I too have a Job 1 with external transmission filter. I remember the post. It was expensive cnangeover. About $600 if I remember. I bought the external filter from
Amazon and you have to have the little plastic sleeves to disconnect the filter from the lines.

·
164 Posts
from what i have heard is that the external filter only filters 10% of the fluid at a time where the internal filter does 100% at a time. In the end as long as the fluid is filtered i hope we are good either way as i have the external filter too!

·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never bothered to check Amazon. Thanks!

The problem with the external, is that it filters 10% of the fluid... only when the temp is at 165F. When the trans isn't up to temp, that fluid circuit to the trans cooler and filter is not open, from what I understand, so the flow is even less or none to that filter. My trans barely touches 140-160F in the winter, with a 15min drive to work. (I read the OBD readout with an SCT for the exact temp.)

The owners manual for trucks with the external filter has a 30,000 mi interval specified for the transmission service. From what I've read, the people with the 100% filtration internal filter have a 60,000 mi service interval in their manual. Maybe someone can confirm this.

The swap didn't cost the guy much money, I don't think. It was a while ago, and I cant remember the forum, but basically, you buy the new pan for around $200 and the internal filter for way less than the external, so the whole changeover is cheaper than 2 externals anyway. I want it for the 100% filtration though, not filter cost.

There was some debate as to whether or not to remove the external canister. No clue about that, but I think the old thread mentioned it was a pain and possibly not worth it, for how little that filter adds anyway. Restriction could be an issue with 2 filters in the system, but I really don't have enough info to comment on whether that is a real problem or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts