The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i put the exhaust on and loaded up the 310 tune and everything seemed great took it easy for about 5 miles the slowed down to a stop and gave it probably half throttle and i got up to about 2100 rpm and the loudest screetching noise ive ever heard came out of my truck i mean it sounds absolutely terrible i just spent 2000$ on this thing and now something sounds seriously wrong the converter feels like its slipping like crazy also. Someone please help me out

·
215 Posts
From the sounds of it I don't think its directly Spartan related, it sounds more like a victim of circumstance on a poorly timed failed OEM item.

What Job is your truck?

Could be a TCM issue...

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After more research i have found that it only seems to do it on the high hp tunes. I switched from the 310 to the 250 and i did not seem to notice it in the 250. I then loaded the 275 and there it was again. I can only get it to do this wehn the truck is in drive also.

·
53 Posts
I think I've seen this phenomena before... is the volume of the pitch inversely related to the amount of tread left on your tires?

I hope that's the problem, cuz it's easy to fix, if it's something else, sorry to hear. Keep us posted on the cause when you find it.

Tim

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took it for another drive this morning and it dosent seem to be the tires by any means the best way is i can describe the sound is it sounds like the loud noiese you get when your brakes are shot except it is way way louder. Like i said earlier its only in the 275 and 310 tunes i dont notice it at all in the 250 witch is what puzzles me. Hopefully someone from spartan will chime in here because i didnt buy this thing just to say i have the 310 tune :bang

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
Does it sound like it's coming from underneath the vehicle or under the hood?

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not real sure how to post a video on here but i will give it a shot i think its definitely coming from under the hood and after driving the truck for a couple days i have found that if im driving normally it wont do it or if the pedal is to the floor it wont do it but if your driving in between that it does it for 5 to ten seconds rite at 2100 rpm

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
This is something that is going to be hard to diagnose....what part of your truck is the sound coming from? Front, rear, middle? I am leaning towards an exhaust leak or something of that sort, but it's odd to me that it's only on the 275 and 310 tunes. I have personally never heard of this happening before.

·
1,570 Posts
Sounds to me like a turbo going bad and starting to make contact between the turbine and housing. How many miles on the truck? Odd it only does it with the higher power tunes though.

·
29 Posts
The turbo up pipe is a pretty common failure on the 6.4l.mine went and it sounded like a really high pitch whistle or squeal

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
I had the same issue, its the up pipe leaking pressure. It will get quiter over time until you just cant hear anything more than a hiss. That will be when the hole/crack is big enough not to make the high pitched sound. Only way to get rid of it will be to replace the up pipes with new ones or upgrade to heavy duty ones.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
im not real sure how to post a video on here but i will give it a shot i think its definitely coming from under the hood and after driving the truck for a couple days i have found that if im driving normally it wont do it or if the pedal is to the floor it wont do it but if your driving in between that it does it for 5 to ten seconds rite at 2100 rpm
Thats the exact same rpm mine did it at, I think that might be when the pressure is high. You will notice soot under your tuck too. Look at the down pipe, the side that faces the motor.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats the exact same rpm mine did it at, I think that might be when the pressure is high. You will notice soot under your tuck too. Look at the down pipe, the side that faces the motor.
thanks that must be the problem the its embarassing if i hit that mark going through town its so loud. Did you do anything to fix yours or did you just leave it till it went away?

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds to me like a turbo going bad and starting to make contact between the turbine and housing. How many miles on the truck? Odd it only does it with the higher power tunes though.

the truck has just a tick over 71,000 it was owned by a man that was on the (pwt) proffesional walleye tour. so it usually pulled a fishing boat its whole life i would assume

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
thanks that must be the problem the its embarassing if i hit that mark going through town its so loud. Did you do anything to fix yours or did you just leave it till it went away?
I bought new up pipes and a elite waste gate kit.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
where is the best place to get a new up-pipe for it?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts