The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.... I need some clarification on what my manual is saying about the maintence schedule for the rearend in my '08 F-250 (job 1).

The Ford Owner's Guide Supplement states that at the 50,000 mile mark you should "Change rear axle fluid (DANA axles only. Refer to Special Operating Conditions for more information) (PAGE 79). Under the Exceptions title (just past the special operating conditions on PAGE 91) it states, "Rear axles and power take-off (PTO) units containing synthetic lubricant and light duty trucks equiped with Ford-design axles are lubricated for life. These lubricants are not to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is required or the axle assembly has been submerged in water".

Looking at the Super Duty 2008 Owner's Guide on PAGE 352, it shows the "Rear axle - F-250/350 (10.50 inch axle)" and that it uses "Synthetic Oil". The next line shows, "Rear axle - F-350 (DANA 80)". So I think my '08 F-250 has the 10.50 inch axle in it, not the Dana. Does that mean I never have to change it?

Thanks for the help!

·
186 Posts
The F250 through the F350 SRW have the Ford axle, while the F350 DRW through the F550 have the Dana axle.

This means that per Ford you do not have to replace the rear axle fluid. Personally I don't believe in "forever" fluids and would replace it at perhaps 100k for my own comfort.

·
31 Posts
The F250 through the F350 SRW have the Ford axle, while the F350 DRW through the F550 have the Dana axle.

This means that per Ford you do not have to replace the rear axle fluid. Personally I don't believe in "forever" fluids and would replace it at perhaps 100k for my own comfort.
What he said. Ford says only to change the fluid if a leak is suspected. But I went ahead and change mine at 150k when I bought the truck. The fluid looked pretty good, but you could tell it wasn't new. Go ahead and do the front if it applies to you. Don't forget the LS additive or make sure your oil has it added already.

Sent from my iPhone

·
42 Posts
the dana 80 runs very hot. but if it were mine i still would try to hit the 50k mark especially if i were using a trailer on it. torque generates heat heat kills fluid, fluid is always cheaper than gears

·
186 Posts
the dana 80 runs very hot. but if it were mine i still would try to hit the 50k mark especially if i were using a trailer on it. torque generates heat heat kills fluid, fluid is always cheaper than gears
Except the F250 doesn't have a Dana axle. Dana axles are F350 DRW and up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts