The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody drive one yet if so did you like it i heard the new 450 and 550 were not that much different than a 350 just has better tires

·
139 Posts
Freind drives a 450 hydro service truck and he insists it is detuned and doesn't much care for it.

I am in the market for a cab/chassis with the PTO and tow capacity. The specs on Fords website show the same power output so am assuming different power curves, matted to different shift patters, and gearing will change how the truck will perform compared to my F350.

Haven't driven one yet for a true comparisson.

·
525 Posts
Freind drives a 450 hydro service truck and he insists it is detuned and doesn't much care for it.

I am in the market for a cab/chassis with the PTO and tow capacity. The specs on Fords website show the same power output so am assuming different power curves, matted to different shift patters, and gearing will change how the truck will perform compared to my F350.

Haven't driven one yet for a true comparisson.

Lets see the facts:

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/chassis-cab/specifications/engine/

300 @ 2800
Torque lb.-ft./rpm 660 @ 1600

That is the 6.7 in a medium duty chassis.

If you buy a 350, it is 400/800

See for yourself.

·
525 Posts
There is a very small (tiny) number of engine failures (total) in the 450/550 models.

There is no word as to the precise cause, though the public evidence I reviewed is strongly suggestive of unauthorized mods / tweaks like trying to run a tuner or 350 software on the 450/550.

Quite frankly, if you are after 400/800, you should not be buying the 450/550 as it simply cannot put out that much power and still deliver the reliability and durability expected of a medium vehicle used for its intended purpose.

If you are after 400/800 power range in a medium to heavy duty, you are into a bona fide heavy duty engine.

·
590 Posts
I agree ,if your after 400hp in a medium truck, the best bet is to go with the larger truck line and get a larger engine. As to 450/550 engine failures, i know of one locally who lost a valve in his early production f550 service truck, no mods whatsoever.

·
525 Posts
i know of one locally who lost a valve in his early production f550 service truck, no mods whatsoever.

I went through a few of the cases (based on public info) and strongly suspected a tuner / 400/800 tune in a few cases.

That said, it is entirely possible there was a valve issue and they had flawed samples ---- impossible to know for sure without doing the homework.

The bottom line:

For the medium duty market, the 6.7 is unproven --- and it takes 2 or 3 years of actual use by medium duties to see if it will prove reliable.

We are not there yet.

The initial signs... suggest a few small bugs will need to be swatted.

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well got my 550 yesterday pulls alright i still dont know why the company got me a 550 as all i haul is a service bed and not a real big one at that but i miss the 1 ton duramax a little but maybe this truck will grow on me prolly the only reason i miss the duramax is the the straight pipe

·
27 Posts
So in order to get the higher HP you have to order a truck with a box instead of the cab chassis. Upgrading my chevy utility and was looking at F450 cab and chassis but I won't get it if it is detuned

·
42 Posts
What is the physical difference between a F350 DRW 4X4 and a F450 pickup DRW 4X4 other that axle ratio and $10,000 difference in base price?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts