The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at the compression ignition stuff and this will be my first diesel. I have been looking for a Ford dually with a 7.3 but ran into a 2006 F450 Lariet 6 speed with a 6.7 Cummins and lots of performance upgrades. I think it's worth 20K but he wants 30K.
I know he has lots into it but is a 2006 non stock dually worth that much? I can buy an 08 King Ranch with half the milage for the same dollars. I am worried about the electronics and who can do the repairs. Should I pay the extra 10K? :help

282 Posts
What's the mileage on the truck? What's the mileage on the motor? How well was the conversion done? What type of things will you be fixing on the 6.4 in the '08? These are all questions and things you should consider. Sounds like a cool truck.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Truck has 160K. He says the motor has 40K but there is no way to tell. He says the conversion was done professionally. Want should i look for? if it was a "do it yourself" i would imagine wiring along with fit and finish.
The reason i ask is that i built a Pro Street custom V Twin bike the i have been riding for ten years. It has less that 8K miles and now i want to sell it to buy a dually. It cost me 30K to build it and the bike shop told me it's worth less than the same year Harley because it's not a factory peice. Would I be on the loosing end if i bought a Ford that was powered by a Dodge?

282 Posts
Yes, I would check wiring and stuff. But like you said the resale probably isn't as good.

Reactions: yikes

3 Posts
Find out who he had install the engine. That will help in determining what it is worth. Some of the "professionals" aren't much better than shade tree mechanics. Also if the 6.7l still has all of the EGR stuff on it, it will have issues as well. One thing to note you won't be able to take it to any dealer to have it worked on if it is an Ex-Dodge engine. Cummins has an agreement with Dodge to not ever work on them. Without the Dodge computer, Dodge can't work on them. And Ford doesn't have the experience to work on them. I am eventually going to convert my computer and wiring over to the Heavy Truck application so that Cummins can work on my engine. Right now I have to find independant heavy truck shops that are willing to work on it. The other thing to consider if you have emissions checks in your area if it is set up to work for that.

Other than the above. It would be Awesome to have an '06 with a CR cummins in it.

Let us know what you end up doing.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked my State inspection emission testing and found that they just have an Opacity test for vehicles manufactured before 2007 and the testing is on the vehicle chassis year and not the engine year so it will be tested as a 2005 Ford.
The repairs could be an issue. I hope i can handle most of them myself. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

282 Posts
Gotta be better than a 6.0!:bdh

· MAFIA
4,835 Posts
May not matter, but I would wonder why he is selling it? I mean if I build something like that, I would want to hang on to it.

282 Posts
May not matter, but I would wonder why he is selling it? I mean if I build something like that, I would want to hang on to it.
AGREED!

323 Posts
So what ever happened? It sure sounded interesting.
I would love to build a 2005+ F-550 regular cab Cummins.
Do you have any pics?
Thanks,
DD

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truck disappeared off the web. I think he may have sold it or decided to keep it. Either way it looks like i lost out on my perfect truck. I still have a year to look, so maybe something else will surface. Thanks

282 Posts
GOS Diesel has a pretty awesome one for sale. It isn't a dually, but does have twins!:knight

· MAFIA
4,835 Posts
GOS Diesel has a pretty awesome one for sale. It isn't a dually, but does have twins!:knight
That is Steel's old truck, I thought he has sold it. :thinking

282 Posts
Might have but it is still on their site for sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.