The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
f450. job 3. 4.30 axle
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have some real mpg numbers empty. i am going to be taking some trips this summer, empty , wondering if it is worth getting just to get some extra miles per tank. i have the newest 210 now and 4.3 gears.

thanks

·
Spartan, True Performance
411 Posts
anybody have some real mpg numbers empty. i am going to be taking some trips this summer, empty , wondering if it is worth getting just to get some extra miles per tank. i have the newest 210 now and 4.3 gears.

thanks
Try contacting Black06. He's running the 250 tune on a F450. Don't really know what kind of mileage he's getting.

·
124 Posts

thanks
PM'd you.

·
138 Posts
Mine is a 4.30 rear end as well.. lets here what your experiencing. Please...

·
138 Posts
I guess it some big secret... lol

·
SeaPig
241 Posts
I am interested myself even though I am running a higher gear.
~Mike~

·
68 Posts
I have a stock F450 with 4.3 gears 12-13 mpg 67-70 mph empty and 8-9 loaded with 14k fifth wheel. I am curious as to what mpg tuned as well.

·
181 Posts
Last F450 with 430 gears we did got a S&B intake 4" Dual Flo Pro and Spartan 275

He said he has never made it from Red Deer Alberta to Valemount B.C. (550KM) before on a tank of fuel and when he got there it said he still had 130KM to empty

Lie O Meter reads 18MPG hauling 2 snowmobiles on a deck

More to Come on this truck

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a hard time believing those numbers. My towing milage went up from 8.1mpg to 8.8mpg with the 210 tune. I just don't see any 450 with 4.30's going over 15mpg even empty.
I hope it is true for his sake...
Mike
F450 with Spartan 210 and 4.88 gears

·
181 Posts
Its just what the last guy told me,
The distance from Red Deer to Valemount is 520KM and I am not sure of the tank size on the F450. so if he had 130KM to empty lets say he gets 650KM which is 390 miles to a tank. I am not sure how many gallons are in a F450 tank but if you know hand calculate me some mileage. based on 390 miles to a tank. Keep in mind he is hauling about 1200 pounds on the truck and is running 430 gears.

·
49 Posts

thanks
I'll be getting a tuner soon (75, 150 & 210) and would like to know what you where getting stock and what your getting now with the 210?

I really question if it's worth it to get the 275 tune over the 210 tune with the 4.30 gears especially for mileage. I turn 2200-2250 rpm @70, at that rpm mileage my mileage is "thrown out the window". I'm sure someone has done it though and can chime in.

·
124 Posts
I have a stock F450 with 4.3 gears 12-13 mpg 67-70 mph empty and 8-9 loaded with 14k fifth wheel. I am curious as to what mpg tuned as well.
I'm seeing the same thing with the 250hp tune. In stock form pulling 12,500lb travel trailer, I'm seeing close to 10mph. I haven't towed with any of the tunes for reference. First journey with the tunes (going to use the 210hp) will be in early May.

·
98 Posts
I as well have a 08 f-350 crew 4by4 dually with the 4:30 gearing. Also wondering what will happen with the tuner for mileage. Black 06, am i to understand that you are getting 12-13 mpg at 70mph running the 210 tune, empty?? I realize that yours is a 450, but we have the same gearing. Just trying to justify adding the tuner. I currently have an s&b intake with the dpf-r. I am getting reasonable mpgs after looking at the forums.. Aprox 15-16mpg empty at 65-70mph.. Will the tuner help me or is that bout all to expect reguardless of what a guy adds?
Thanks.

·
138 Posts
An F450 i alot heavier than a F350 especially if its a SRW f350....*(actually after re-reading your options your probably not too much lighter.... )

I have a 2wd, F450 with a manual trans and 4.30 gears stock except for
4" exhaust ...

In Stock form, I have always seen 14.7 freeway(only) EMPTY driving 60-65 tops... I have alway seen about 9.5-10 Towing my gooseneck that weighs 19,600lbs at 60mph.( it doesent have a very big wind resistence either though). It is not flat around here either...

I just had my truck in to get the California Engine idle shut down box installed on it and they had to re-flash the truck... I didnt want them to because I was skeeeard, you know? Anyway, I just made a trip to big bear and finally got a chance to check my mileage again without towing or driving city.... I dont know if it was the re-flash or the fact that I now have 16,000 miles on my truck and thats helping also, BUT I got about 16.5 Mpg driving 65.... I also noticed that it re-gened on the way atleast once, so I wonder if the tune would help....

·
124 Posts
I as well have a 08 f-350 crew 4by4 dually with the 4:30 gearing. Also wondering what will happen with the tuner for mileage. Black 06, am i to understand that you are getting 12-13 mpg at 70mph running the 210 tune, empty?? I realize that yours is a 450, but we have the same gearing. Just trying to justify adding the tuner. I currently have an s&b intake with the dpf-r. I am getting reasonable mpgs after looking at the forums.. Aprox 15-16mpg empty at 65-70mph.. Will the tuner help me or is that bout all to expect reguardless of what a guy adds?
Thanks.
If I was getting 15-16mpg stock (or even now with the tunes and DPF/CAT delete) I would be very pleased. I am not seeing the mpg performance that you're currently seeing (I may weight 900lbs more than your F350), but we have the same aerodynamic / drag profile at 65-70 mph.

Overall the tunes have dramatically improved performance, and made the drivability of the truck (acceleration and shifting) much improved over stock. Buying the tuner for fuel economy would not have been a wise decision in hindsight for my scenario. I drive 12 miles to work - 8 highway, 4 with stop-n-go lights.

If I was less type-A personality, I could drive at 58mph, which I believe I could replicate the 15-16mpg empty that you're seeing.

Overall I love the tunes, but a business case to support the purchase from a fuel avoidance (ROI) cannot be supported in my scenario. Others may have different experience. :happymugs

·
98 Posts
Thank you for the info Black06, this helps, I think that I will stay stock for now and evaluate my towing mpg as stock. Going to the mountians next week towing about 5000 lbs.. should be an indicator. Truck is not yet broke in.. has 26000kms, bought it used, but there has been no indications that it has pulled anything yet. Paint still in the hitch and there was no fifth ever installed. Was a 1 year lease-back from Arizona shipped up to Canada where I bought it. I will be bagging the crap out of her on this trip.

Thanks agian.

·
138 Posts
"Bagging the crap out of her " ???

What does that mean? 5000 lbs towed through the mountains is nothing for these trucks, if thats what you meant.... Dont worry it wont have any problems with that what so ever. Have fun!!

By the way, Just so you know... these trucks use just about as much fuel towing 5,000 lbs as they do towing 15,000 lbs...lol Unless one trailer has major wind drag and the other doesent. The main thing is that thay are always boosting while towing unless your going downhill..heh, heh. When under boost, bye bye Fuel!

·
98 Posts
Yes, I know.... This is the best I can do right now... My holiday trailer ( The heavy one ) is aready in the mountains where I am going. Taking the toys there this trip. Although it is nice to know that towing heavier may not burn too much more fuel. Comming back i will have about two and a half cords of green birch firewood on my dump trailer... Should tell me something about the lighter to heavier load.. I used to pull with an 07 6.0 before I got this truck, ( Must have got lucky.... was a good truck but could not pass up the deal on the 08 ) She worked exceptionally well for a 6.0, I can only hope the 6.4 is as good then I will be happy...... Even happier if it is better!!!
Thanks for the info.

·
49 Posts
I really question if it's worth it to get the 275 tune over the 210 tune with the 4.30 gears especially for mileage. I turn 2200-2250 rpm @70, at that rpm mileage my mileage is "thrown out the window". I'm sure someone has done it though and can chime in.[/QUOTE]

Update, I just run from Buffalo to Sault Ste Maria (empty) with the 210 tune. I used the "Lie O Meter" as a guide. Running 68 (2200 rpm) seemed to do real good anything faster the LOM started to drop fast. I was very happy ending the trip in the Soo with the "Lie O Meter" reading 19.5 mpg. Then I did the hand calculated mileage. Bummer, I was hoping for 15 mph, but not bad for a 9300lbs dually with 4:30 gears.

570 miles (odometer) & 40 gals fuel = 14.25
585 miles (gps) & 40 gals fuel = 14.62

1 - 20 of 24 Posts