The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order some tunes from DP and just want to hear any comments and advice on the F5 chip vs the SCT X3 flash tuner. My preference is the chip, but as I live in Australia I am concerned that if I have any issues with the chip it will take time and money sending it back and forward to the US. Therefore is the X3 a more reliable way to go and what are the disadvantages / advantages compared to the F5 (apart form holding less files)? All advice welcomed.

·
6,337 Posts
Normaly I would say the chip... but in your instance I would go with the SCT...

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Normaly I would say the chip... but in your instance I would go with the SCT...
I'm going to agree with this. Since you're in Australia you're better off having something that files can be e-mailed to you.

Just from what I know of these options, a clear advantage that I can see to the F5 is the fact that programs can be changed on the fly, and if you're into looks, the display is kinda cool.

Advantages to the X-Cal-3 that I can see is the fact that you can use it as a code reader and in your case, files can be e-mailed to you and then downloaded to the X-Cal-3, then to your truck. The only real disadvantage to it is you can't carry more than 3 tunes with you, and you can't switch on the fly. I don't see these as disadvantages, because if you need three different tunes in between times you can get to your computer, something's kind of wrong, and switching on the fly isn't that big of a deal to most, unless you're into racing at stoplights and run an economy tune daily driving.

Good luck with your decision, I hope you get what's best for you.

·
TDG Rocks!
393 Posts
I'd do everything that you are ever going to do to said truck. I mean trans, Injectors, turbo. then buy the DP you can get up 12 differant files so how could you go wrong??? if truck was complete you would never need to get new tunes. IMO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to agree that the X3 would be better in my case, and I like the fact that I can use it to read and clear codes also. With getting files emailed, would I need any special software to store, read and upload / download these files? Do you guys know if DP offer this service / option?

·
6,337 Posts
OzPowerstroker said:
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to agree that the X3 would be better in my case, and I like the fact that I can use it to read and clear codes also. With getting files emailed, would I need any special software to store, read and upload / download these files? Do you guys know if DP offer this service / option?

Everything you need to download and install tunes to your SCT is avalable from SCT's website. Its really very easy.

·
Smokin'
430 Posts
If you're getting big oil and injectors... DP F5.

If you stay with stock oil and injectors... SCT X3.

Jody can't do as much with the programming on the SCT unit as he can with his own chip... this is coming from Jody himself when I talked to him at the Dillsburg Dyno event this fall...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts