The Diesel Garage banner

F550 bed?

11K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Fantom3993 
#1 ·
hey guys a friend of mine is looking at a used 2006 Ford F550. Its in grate shape with only 15K miles but it has no bed. He said the old F450-550 are longer than a F350 so a stock bed will not work. However the boat dealer here in town has a 2004-5 F550 that has what looks like a stock ford bed on it. The owner said it was custom made.

Anyone know where you get this bed and how much it cost?

Thanks
Shawn.

#5 ·
There are alot of companies who do conversions like this. If you ever see one, you'll see that there's an extension on the bed itself to fit the 550 frame. But then again, the frames come in all different sizes and can be made into all different sizes. Take the truck to a body builder (not a guy who lifts weightsLOL) They can shorten the frame, driveline, brake lines and anything else needed to fit a stock 350 bed, and it's pretty close to $1,000 to have it all done.

#6 ·
Well, I have a 350 bed on my 550. It had to have spacers on the rear 2 crossmembers as well as an extension in the front. But it does work. I'm going to take mine off and put a western hauler bed on. Also the bumper doesn't quite get under the bed. It sticks out about an inch or so.

#8 ·
It was on the truck when I bought it. It is a standard one ton bed. It's just had that extension added. It doesn't make the bed any bigger just covers up the gap. The spacers are there because my gooseneck hitch is between the framerails and doesn't sit low enough so the bed had to be spaced up for it too fit. I personally don't like this and it's the reason why I will be switching to a hauler bed. It's too damn high. The bedside is 60" at the tailgate.

#9 ·
Got ya, the boat dealers sets lower than but its the same length. They pull those big big big boats with it... the ones that look like rig should be pulling.

Im not sure what 5th he has but the bed does set lower than yours...

you cant link straight to the truck, but here is a inventory list....

http://www.toyotaofbristol.com/pre_owned_inventory.html

#10 ·
That's a good price for that truck. He better not wait too long. I would put a hauler or flat bed on it though. Truck beds are a pain. That truck should sit the same as mine. The 2wd and 4wd have the same dimensions for the 450/550's, it's probably because my bed is spaced up makes it look taller and my driveway slopes down behind the truck.

#11 ·
I dunno, almost $40k for an '06? I'd think you could order a brand new one through fleet for the same price, if not less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.