The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have the basic Fabtech 8" Radius arm lift and 38" Toyo Open Country tires. I bought the truck this way and though I love the way that it looks it a little impractical now for where i'm at. I'm seriously debating on going down to a Icon 4.5" coil over lift with OUO trac bars and 35" tires. What made me consider this started with the fact that I keep busting Drag link ends. I've had two on there already (both being factory replacments) and now I'm having to put another one on that I bought from raybestos. I bought it cause it displayed that it had a zerk fitting but after I got it i realized that it didn't. I have the factory trac bar with the drop down bracket that was provided with the lift and my trac bar and drag link geometry is pretty severe. I have a lot of lateral body movement also. I'm thinking that is why I keep busting them. Also the factory parts don't come with paint or any coating on them at all and rust very quickly even if you paint it with an anti rust. I'm wondering if the inside of the ball joint is rusting too causing it to pop. I haven't broken a drag link end yet but everytime I just get a lot of popping turning or going over bumps. This last one didn't last but a little over 1000mi before it started popping and pops with the consistency of pop corn going over some bumps. Too make a long story short I have 2 questions. Any suggestions on the drag link issue before I buy a whole new lift and what problems am I looking at from going from one tall lift to a smaller moderate lift.? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

·
2,183 Posts
sounds like you need a new trac bar.

have you taken it to a knowledgable suspension shop?

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I took it out with a buddy today and being a little on the daring side I laid under the truck and let my buddy let it roll forward and then put on the brake pretty hard. It sounded like to metal pieces were slamming together. After touching and feeling over everything countless times of him repeating the start stop process it feel likes and sounds like the radius arm on the passenger side. Maybe a bushing or something. Also should the draglink move from forward to back in a semi spherical form? <can't really think of how to explain that. But it definately was not the drag link making the popping noise. Also discoverd that the factory steering dampner was busted so I took it off. Guess i'm going to take it to a shop now I feel like I atleast know the area in which the noise is coming from. I just hate going to a shop not knowing what is broke. I do most of the work on my truck myself unless it has to be done in a shop as i'm in the military and away from my shop in Texas. Will keep you guys posted.

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that I did call and talk to TruckToyzPerformance about a month ago or so and they told me that I could drop down to their Icon lift and that I could use my fabtech radius arms as long as they didn't have adjustable caster/camber. I'm thinking of keeping the lift that I have now and going with the Icon 4-link instead of my radius arms and then upgrade to the coil over shocks and also buy the trac bars from ouo. And i'll go from a 38x15.5x20R tire to maybe a 38x13.5x20R tire. 15.5 is just way to large for driving around on this bumpy interstate where every 15 feet is a speed bump. And if I keep the same lift heigth then i'll invest in the new trac bar from wcmotorsports that should bring everything back to where it should be. Also i'm going to lift my truck and check the ball joints again for play as its about time for them to start going out. Had the lift on the truck since 300 mi and now have 25,000mi on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts