The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:waveAny one use or have knowledge of the Bullet Proof Fan Clutch and adapter mod for the 6.0? I worry about the ECM setting codes as the electric circuit is no longer used. It consist of a 1997 7.3 manual fan clutch plus an adapter for the 6.0 fan.
Thanks Ed

·
1,324 Posts
I guess I don't understand the advantage of a mechanical version. I highly recommend a custom tow tune and have the fan pulse and lock points moved 5 degrees lower. It works great! KEM did mine. if I get another tune I'm going down 10 degrees with both points.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Bullet Proof and they say it keeps eng cooler when running normal and towing as the fan runs faster with the manual clutch than with electric clutch. Al so you loose about one mile per gallon on mileage.
Ed

·
1,324 Posts
I called Bullet Proof and they say it keeps eng cooler when running normal and towing as the fan runs faster with the manual clutch than with electric clutch. Al so you loose about one mile per gallon on mileage.
Ed
If you have a tuner I'd have tunes made where the points are lower. You won't lose mileage as much since the fan operates the same except you don't let things get as hot before it starts spinning the fan faster. I'd guess the mechanical fan is just doing what my programming is doing now but does it all the time. I towed the trailer to Florida and back along with a trip 2 weeks ago and my fan rarely locks now because it spins 1500 rpm around 209/210 now instead of at 215. I'm surprised how much of a difference it makes. I may get another tow tune from KEM and go to 205 on the pulse and 215 on the lock up. We know the oil gets super hot in these engines so keeping it down should be good, diesels like hot temps they run more efficient but oil at 250 deg F. in the pan IMHO is a bad thing. All temps listed are Coolant temps.

·
55 Posts
I think this came about to solve high oil temp problems with the air to oil cooler they sell. There was some chatter that guys were having problems with oil temp in hot weather and not long after they released the remote coolant to oil cooler.

Weld, do you know if KEM alters the fan programming with their tow tunes? I bought their Street and Tow tune last week but have not tried the tow tune. Street tune is really nice for a daily driver.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am old school mechanic and I don't like temps as high as the 6.0 runs as you have a 6 or 8 thousand $ engine riding on the fact that the coolant cap will never fail as the only thing keeping it alive is 16 lbs of pressure. I do like the oil cooler system of bullet proof but man it is pricy.

·
1,324 Posts
I think this came about to solve high oil temp problems with the air to oil cooler they sell. There was some chatter that guys were having problems with oil temp in hot weather and not long after they released the remote coolant to oil cooler.

Weld, do you know if KEM alters the fan programming with their tow tunes? I bought their Street and Tow tune last week but have not tried the tow tune. Street tune is really nice for a daily driver.
Only if you request it when you order.

Sorry for the delay I made a post that didn't stick and tried again. This site works poorly on my iPad now.

Reactions: jsm180
1 - 8 of 8 Posts