The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Too much into it now...
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You already know the question...which way do I spin the fan off??

If you are standing in the engine bay, looking at the fan.

Looking at the fan, it looks like it spins counterclockwise, so turning CCW would tighten the fan...wouldn't it?

I already bent the fan hub wrench I had holding the hub and trying to turn both ways...I do have the correct size wrench to fit the hub "Nut"...just not having any luck getting it loose.

Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
just a rule of thumb you turn the fan the same way it turns to remove it.
if you are looking straight at the fan it spins off counter clock wise

·
Too much into it now...
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much!!

At least if I'm going to break something...it should be going in the right direction...:roflmao:

·
3,306 Posts
I used an air chisel to spin the fan nut to get mine off.

·
645 Posts
how the hell did you get a pipe wrench in there?

·
Breaks stuff
1,941 Posts
Easy! You go to Ford, get their special socket that they don't tell you about, and put the pipe wrench on the socket.:muha

·
Registered
239 Posts
since when can you fit a socket over a huge fan :eek:wned just use the air chisel, done this on like 5 trucks

machine said:
Easy! You go to Ford, get their special socket that they don't tell you about, and put the pipe wrench on the socket.:muha

·
645 Posts
oh ok. ive never even seen this socket that ford has, dont doubt it but im looking in our tool room for it tomorrow. i know all the tool companies have a special fan clutch wrench just for 6.0s but im tired of buying tools just to have somone borrow it and break it or loose it.

·
Too much into it now...
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where is that darn "That Was Easy" button??

All I had to do is smack the wrench 2 times with a 2Lb sledge, and it was loose. No way it was coming loose trying to be "Gentle".

·
GOOD OLE BOY
29 Posts
funny i read this today my matco guy came in today his sales flyer for this month has a special tool for fans on 6.0 PS P/N mst3950 for 45.00 might want to check it out online

·
645 Posts
yep i got the same one today and laughed, if it was two years ago when i was buying tools left and right i would be all over it but not anymore.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I actually have made a wrench for each of the motors i've had to pull fans off of-

Just get yourself a 3' piece of 1/4" thick x 3" flat steel bar stock, transfer the width of the fan nut to the side of one end of the bar with calipers, and cut out the waste with a saw or torch. Put it over the nut, and the wrench sticks way out of the top of the motor to give you a place to smack it with a hammer and not anything else! Also gives you a ton more leverage than anything else.

I'll try and remember to post a picture of one.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts