The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this little bit of news in my email, thought everyone should check it out that has a 6.0L Ford.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/08/fel-pro-develops-6-0l-powerstroke-head-gasket-sealing-solution/?utm_source=EB+Newsletter+-+Subscribers&utm_campaign=4693c72979-enginebuilder+newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6ca466f60c-4693c72979-83635305

The Fel-Pro Gaskets brand has introduced two innovative Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS multi-layer-steel head gaskets that address a common combustion sealing issue encountered in 6.0L diesel engines used in more than 700,000 trucks manufactured between 2003 and 2010....

·
1,324 Posts
I think they should have had an intern google the web and learn the true problem is the lack of adequate clamping force. If you need gaskets then pull the heads and stud it. Not saying the gaskets they make aren't good but the root cause is pretty much hands down TTY head bolts and the fact there are only 10 on each head. The 6.4 had bigger bolts (M16) and the 7.3 and 6.7 have more of them.

:shrugs

Reactions: harry6.0

·
227 Posts
Thank you for the info. I have always love felpro gaskets.

·
3,051 Posts
I'm always skeptical too, when a new product like this comes around.

I wonder if they did any actual towing, in the mountains, with max heavy loads and stock head bolts in hot weather, to really give it the acid test?

Be interesting to see how these pan out, only time will tell.

Harry

Reactions: dbennett48

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
The other thing they need to address is make +.010" and +020" versions so you can mill te heads to flatten them without having to sink the valve seats and tip the valves to maintain piston to valve clearance, which would do away with the .006" mill limit BS on these engines for good.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
They would have done the testing on a dyno. Years ago Felpro was a private company rated as one of the best companies to work for, #4 I believe, with some of the best employees out there. The family ended up selling it to Federal-Mogul around 1999-2000, concerned about the future of the auto business, and issues relating to asbestos exposure from their products.

When F-M assimilates a company there are changes, and they like to close R&D facilities :)soapbox). Felpro's well known dyno and test facility was closed down just like Moog's chassis and Abex's friction where. The engine dyno work was moved to the Plymouth, Mi and UK facilities where F-M has their piston, bearing and sealing work done.

Decades ago it was not unusual for Felpro employees to install the products on there own vehicles and road or drag race test them, being a tight knit "family" company. (They even had their own park in Il for the families.) That is not happening in the corporate environment of F-M. So like many of the aftermarket situations out there, the equipment tests may say go, but it will be the consumer who ends up being the ultimate tester.

As Harry stated, "only time will tell".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts