The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i called autometer and they said a boost would work for a fp since they do not offer a mechanical in cobalt.

i hooked it up and it holds 7psi at idle and 0psi at wot.

do you think this is correct??

i only used the supplied line but i do have 1/4" if anyone thinks it would be a better reading.

·
3,514 Posts
I wouldn't think that the diameter of the line would have much effect on the reading. Are you running a box along with your nozzles? because I could see it starving for fuel if you were and weren't running a bigger pump. Either way, 7psi is not a good number, and Zero is far worse. I've talked to people that consider 8psi under load to be dangerous.
Sean

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just nozzles no box yet.

the dealer didnt know it but i have a friend in the service dept and i was told that they put 2 lift pumps in the truck since it was traded in by the previous owner.

·
1,055 Posts
Those are not good numbers, you need to have it replaced again, or put in another type of pump. If you are getting a box I would look for something better then stock

·
560 Posts
haz-mat19 said:
Those are not good numbers, you need to have it replaced again, or put in another type of pump. If you are getting a box I would look for something better then stock

:agreed:

Size of tubing should have little effect on the reading over that short of distance...

Time for a new pump...before you hurt the VP...

steved

·
3,514 Posts
Grab a FASS, I love mine. I noticed 3mpg better on the freeway, so I really can't complain about that, and if you need to do a pump anyways... Seems like the perfect time.
Sean

·
560 Posts
sstockton said:
Grab a FASS, I love mine. I noticed 3mpg better on the freeway, so I really can't complain about that, and if you need to do a pump anyways... Seems like the perfect time.
Sean
:agreed:

FASS here too...definately helped the mileage...put it on and the OEM pump wasn't even hurting...best preventative maintenance I did so far...

steved

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i didnt have $$ to do the fass right now so i took it to injector shop and they are adding a pump and say it will run 22psi with it.

the dealer said the injector pump and a intank pump were installed on my truck under warr. and that was the best dc would do even though the intank will only push around 7psi max.

so they suggested this other route. just too bad that was half the money i was saving for a valvebody.

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok the pump is installed and running 22psi @ idle and 11psi @ wot.

hope i caught it before it hurt the vp44!!

·
560 Posts
Hmmm, I would have figured between the pusher and OEM pump that you would have 22psi regardless of load...most guys report no or very little drop in pressure after they install a pusher...

steved

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the dealership removed the pump on the block and went with a in tank pump which was covered by warranty. the new pusher is in addition to the in tank.

·
560 Posts
skinz0021 said:
the dealership removed the pump on the block and went with a in tank pump which was covered by warranty. the new pusher is in addition to the in tank.
Must be seeing the intank pump as a restriction then...as I said before, most guys see no drop in pressure...with the external pumps...

steved

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in tank was the "solution" chrysler came up with and the tech doesnt like it since the pressure is too low but thats all he can do. is add the intank and remove the one on the block.

·
560 Posts
skinz0021 said:
in tank was the "solution" chrysler came up with and the tech doesnt like it since the pressure is too low but thats all he can do. is add the intank and remove the one on the block.
Yeah, the general consensus is the intank pump sucks...I doubt you will have any issues running both pumps, just keep an eye on your pressure.

What kind of pusher pump did they install?

steved

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have no clue. it was $158 and $60 for a hour labor and that saved me a big headache

·
1,055 Posts
Those are very good pressures, my fass hold 19 at idle and 14 at wot. I have not seen any mileage though:nunu: , but I still like it:Thumbup:

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am glad to see it stays in double digits @ wot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long did you run with the in tank pump and no FP gauge? I got about 7000 miles out of my warranty installed in tank and VP with a comp and no gauge. Needless to say I'm putting in a new VP this weekend.

I'm happy with the Walbro 392. It's $80 and will feed an open return and the VP and hold 17-12 psi. It pulls fuel through the disconnected in tank pump just fine. I'm going to drop the tank and put in a new pick up tube just so I know it's getting all the fuel it can. I'm not messing around with fuel delivery any more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts