The Diesel Garage banner

Few Questions

942 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  gsphunter 
#1 ·
You guys have always been an excellent resource whenever my truck gives me fits, which is not often. I've got a couple issues right now that I wanted to see if I could get some help with.

I just got back from about a 250 mile round trip on Sat evening, and after driving on the highway with no problems almost the whole way, my truck started acting up when coming to a stop. It was downshifting hard with a noticeable clunk as I was slowing down or right as I stopped. It was also idling higher than normal, which is probably what is causing the hard down shift. My first thought was an NSBU switch, but I'm not really sure. The shift column seems to be indicating the correct gear and it had no problems going into OD, which was what happened last time this went out.

I've also got my SES light on. When Auto Zone pulled the code, they said it was either an 02 sensor or MAF sensor. I didn't get the actual code. The truck is hazing white smoke when started cold, but clears up shortly after start up. I was thinking this could be from sitting for long periods of time, but not sure.

Any thoughts on any of this would be great. Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help in the past.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got some updates on my problems. I cleaned the MAF and replaced the air filter. The SES light went off.

While looking for the source of the clunk feeling I found a completely thrashed carrier bearing, so I replaced it thinking that could be the source of the clunk, but no such luck.

I'm leaning towards the Neutral Safety unit, but I'm not completely sold on this yet. Does anybody know if the unit can cause the truck to idle higher than normal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.