The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many on here have replaced just the half shell if you have the 4 bolts?

I ended up doing that yesterday and the truck is so much nicer to drive. Quiet, Smooth, Non aggrivating and jsut much simpler to drive.

What I liked about the half shell was that out the door it was under $400 installed from Ford. Truck didn't need reprogrammed, but they did it anyway so that I could get the latest version of the induction heat.

The part number was 4C3Z12B599BARM.

The question I have remaining is that my SCT tunes didnt have the induction heating in them, so I am assuming that information is removed when I install those tunes the "brain box" of the FICM doesn't retain that information does it?

·
348 Posts
if they changed the stragty of your truck you if you have custom tunes you will need to have them changet to fit the new stragty.

·
444 Posts
How many on here have replaced just the half shell if you have the 4 bolts?
"half shell"? First I've heard of this term. Can you explain what you are referring to? Thanks.

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are 2 parts to the FICM. One is the 4 or 7 pin board and the other is the "brain board" that is where your information is stored. The brain section I have never heard of failing, but have seen some get scorched from the heat and need to be replaced when the "pin section" stops working.

With the half shell change over you dont need any reprogramming that part of the FICM is not swapped out.

The Brain section is actually bolted to the valve cover with its own bolts and the Shell from the Pin Section just sits over it and seals it.

You don't have to buy an entire FICM most of the time is what I am trying to state. There is another option out there.

I called Johnathon at Swamp, but he said they need at least a 2 day lead time on the FICM and with the questions that are out there IMO unanswered I chose to go a different route.

All the great things that have been said about the swamp unit as far as making it quieter, running smoother and better TB response I can say the same for this stock swap out. It seems to be a change over time that isn't noticed since the lost seems to be small bits over a period of time or at least it was for me.

Hope this helps someone on the site.

Reactions: pstrang

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
good info!

·
444 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts