The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody use the fifth wheel extention on there trailers. It looks like something use for short wheel bas trucks. Adapts to the trailer at the king pin and gives you and additional 1' or so of lenght. Makes it easier to turn the truck with out having to worry about getting into the cab.
Thanks Paul

·
8,265 Posts
My Wildcat came from the factory with an extended kinpin. If you are talking about adding another extension to that...I don't think that would be wise.

If your thinking of adding an extension to a 5'ver that doesn't have one...I would find one rated to handle the stress.

And I still use a sliding hitch with my extended pin.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
This is the best advise I can give for 5th wheel hitches when you need more clearance.
http://www.pullrite.com/superglide.htm

the add on pins can damage where you factory king pin is connected. my neighbor had the fifth airborn sidewinder and it mad a sway feeling to it and has since sold it. some feel that even the gooseneck adapters are not safe, that being said there are many thoughts on it, but I would not want to chance it given the weights and speed at which you could be traveling with. also some 5th wheel manufactures if not all will void your warranty if you use any of these products. I know the superglide is pricey but I is safe.

·
171 Posts
I have a 34' carriage 5th wheel and i have no problems. with my 6ft bed on my truck and a 12" kingpin extension, i can turn tight enough to make any turn without hitting the cab. I think you can get them up to 14". Also i was looking at a automatic slider that adjusts as you make the turn but then your talking about alot more money. Its all about preference and what you like and would be most comfortable towing with.

·
23 Posts
The pullrite is great. I can go clear to 90 degrees without problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts