The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why so many manufacturers say that the 5th wheel capacity is higher than conventional. The only towing I do is conventional and go right up to and over the max 5th wheel capacity. I have never had a problem, if I am not loaded properly it can get kinda squirly though. I think the F 450 pick up has a difference of about 7k, I just dont see why.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
I dont understand what your asking i guess....whats considered "conventional" pulling?

and a 450 is rated for more weight because it has heavier springs, differant gear ratio in the rears and I think a stiffer frame....

·
1,224 Posts
5th wheel is higher because it puts the weight over or ahead of the rear axle and does not take weight off the front axle. With bumper hookups with high pin weight, the load is behind the rear axle and your front axle will actually have less weight on it compared to no trailer hooked up or compared to 5th wheel hookup. Heavy bumper pulls can lighten up the front end so much that hitting the brakes leads to front tire skidding with no traction, which means loss of steering.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
i have also found that a 5th wheel hookup is alot beefier...instead of a hallow 2" square tube for a bumper pull and a 1" shank for the ball...its a big 5th wheel plate with the kingpin on the trailer about 3" thick at its smallest point..also what dodge farmer said has alot to do with it.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
where are you towing that much weight on a reciever hitch? So I know to stay away!

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am on the Jersey Shore, I haul boats I have 4 Hydraulic Trailers. My most commonly used trailer is a 31 foot trailer that ways about 4k and has a capacity of 14k. That trailer is never an issue it is my big one, it is a 36 ft Hydraulic that ways about 7k and has a 18 k capacity. It is a pintle hitch and I have a custom made weight distributing system to work with the pintle. This trailer empty has about 1,800 lbs of tongue weight. That is the one I am worried about.

My 6500 is great with that trailer it has no idea it is there, brake and suspension wise, it just has no power is 2 wheel drive I need 4x4 a lot. Also we are downsizing out company a little and I wanted to get rid of a truck. The 3500s handle the big trailer fully loaded fairly well but not great and not for long distance. I want a truck that is easy to drive and manuever in tight spots (the GMC is not) and also a truck that has heavy brakes and suspension.

One thing I love about my GMC is in Florida my big trailers brakes went out with a big load on it, with the 6500 I never knew it. If I had a 3500 I would know it. I am just hoping the 5500 is the key for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I wouldn't tow ANY trailer weighing over 5,000# with a receiver type (Bumper Pull) hitch, GooseNeck or 5-er ONLY over that and even lighter if you can.

GN pulls SOOOOOOO much nicer and the vehicle stability is awesome compared to BP operations.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Je suis d'accord avec John G avec l'accroc de col de cygne qu'ils sont loin beaucoup plus sûrs pour tirer plus ce que plus il un peu plus plus durement pour l'obtenir est resté fidèle dû vous avez amout assez agréable de poids sur les roues.

Je tire les deux voies qu'il n'importe pas si ce en Amérique du Nord ou en Europe la réponse toujours le même le col de cygne ou le 5ème accroc de roue est le plus sûr.

I agree with John G with goose neck hitch they are far much safer to pull plus what more it little more harder to get it stuck due you have pretty nice amout of weight on the wheels.

I do pull both ways it don't matter if that in North America or in Europe the answer always the same the gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch is safest.

Merci,Marc

·
34 Posts
obviously its about the weight distribution and traction. thats why big rigs use a 5th wheel instead of a bumper mount

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
I was wondering why so many manufacturers say that the 5th wheel capacity is higher than conventional. The only towing I do is conventional and go right up to and over the max 5th wheel capacity. I have never had a problem, if I am not loaded properly it can get kinda squirly though. I think the F 450 pick up has a difference of about 7k, I just dont see why.
thats why I ask!

·
535 Posts
I wouldn't tow ANY trailer weighing over 5,000# with a receiver type (Bumper Pull) hitch, GooseNeck or 5-er ONLY over that and even lighter if you can.

GN pulls SOOOOOOO much nicer and the vehicle stability is awesome compared to BP operations.
what he said! that BP with the hitch sticking out 8" is just leverage for the trailer to do whatever it wants with the truck, GN puts the weight more to the center of the truck, the dogis supposed to wag the tail!

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Absolutly GN is better then BP.
Hovewer in my practice I using simple rules:
- BP can NOT be more when trucks GVW and it's comfortible with 1/2 GVW of truck;
- GN can be 3x of trucks GVW, very safe to go 2x of GVW.

If you can do job only by trailer - use GN.
In my case I always have a problem to sacrifise whole truck. Usualy my truck has material (timber, firewood, woodchips etc.) and BP trailer has equipment on it. This is why all my trucks are 25,950 lb GVW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts