The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am finally getting a diesel after 2 years of waiting. I went friday and looked at a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 ext cab long bed slt laramie, and I am going back tomorrow to give the guy the down payment. My insurance is going up about $50 bucks a month, but my payments for the loan are only $290, so it works out.

I remember reading about the code reader by turning the key 3 times, but does this work for a 99?
Also it has a diesel dynamics chip, but I can't seem to find any information about these, are they any good?
Also is there anything else I should double check tomorrow? It has a new aftermarket(don't know brand?) gearbox, and the injection pump and tranny were both replaced before 100k miles. The truck has 150k on it now. Brand new tires, shocks, and front brakes/hub assembly.

I can not wait to get this truck home, so I can start bomb'ing and beat all the little rice cars running around town.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
good thing IP and tranny were replaced congrats on the new truck

·
268 Posts
Nice buy on the truck, Im getting mine soon and maybe we can get some more diesels and go to the pike or get a group going for diesels in CT.

·
4,158 Posts
yeah i love the 12Valve motors but i'd never turn down a dually, thats the only reason i don't have a 12V

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I might not be getting the truck now. I talked to insurance again today and aparently they quoted me wrong. Instead of 3200 a year they want 7600. I nearly cried when I heard the insurance payments would be double the truck payments. I guess because I would have my own vehicle now, they change me from part time driver to full time, and it screws me over basically. They told me until I turn 21 I shouldn't even consider a 4x4.

I'm am looking into haveing my uncle put it under his business and then put me on the books as an employee, write me a check for 10 dollars a week or something like that.

Has anyone else my age figured away around this insurance bull$h!t yet? I know we have a few other younger memebers with 4x4 diesels on here.

·
3,514 Posts
I did my 12 valve through my dad, just put his name on the title and did insurance that way, it was only $100 bucks a month. Just do that, and if you ever get pulled over, just say you were borrowing the truck. Also, when you go back, check and make sure it isn't the 53 block, some not all of these block codes crack, it should've happened by now if it was, but you never know. You can find the casting number cast into the block, on the drivers side just below the Injection pump. The numbers are an inch tall, and they will be by themselves, not part of a string of numbers. If it has no numbers there, then the block was Cast in Mexico and you are good to go.

Good luck with getting it sorted out man.
Sean

·
Super Enthusiast
187 Posts
hcr400ex said:
Well I might not be getting the truck now. I talked to insurance again today and aparently they quoted me wrong. Instead of 3200 a year they want 7600. I nearly cried when I heard the insurance payments would be double the truck payments. I guess because I would have my own vehicle now, they change me from part time driver to full time, and it screws me over basically. They told me until I turn 21 I shouldn't even consider a 4x4.

I'm am looking into haveing my uncle put it under his business and then put me on the books as an employee, write me a check for 10 dollars a week or something like that.

Has anyone else my age figured away around this insurance bull$h!t yet? I know we have a few other younger memebers with 4x4 diesels on here.
Are you saying your insurance company wants you to pay $7600.00 dollars a year for full coverage? Ahh to be a teenager again..... Damn that hurts!:squish :squish Sorry Dude!

Tony

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
Have the truck put in your mom or dads name, and the insurance the same way.

I had my mom put my f250 (5.0) 4x4 on her's and it's like 100 or so bucks.

You also might want to try a different insurance company.

Good luck on getting the truck.

·
268 Posts
Wow that sucks, thank god Im getting put under my moms Altima :evil: . Also my brother is under my dads Ford Powerstrokes insurance and we dont have anything but liablity(sp) and he only pays like $1500 a year and he is 17 going on 18.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
countryboy88 said:
Have the truck put in your mom or dads name, and the insurance the same way.
The truck was going to be under my mom's name, but because it is just me and my mom they have to insure me for both vehicles, and also I change from a part time driver to a full time driver. My uncle is calling his insurance today about putting it under his business, and hopefully we can make it work. The guy I am buying the truck from was very understanding and is holding it untill wedseday to figure it out.

The insurance company said they rate vehicles from 1-27, based on how much it cost to replace, the higher the number the more it cost to insure. The truck I want is a 20, because of the 4x4 components and diesel engine. My Ford plow truck is only a 7???? I think this system SUCKS! My company is AIG, and we had pretty decent rates until now.

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
Try Nationwide. Thats who I am with and they are a very good company to deal with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the last truck fell through, but I found another one with less miles for a little more. 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 ext cab short bed, with a 9 foot plow. The only thing with the plow is it was taken off another truck before it got repo'd so I need to get it all wired up, if I decide to use it. I might just sell the plow, and invest some money into the truck. The truck already has a van aaken chip, k&n intake, and 4" hi flow exhaust(not straight piped).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts