The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've never seen my temp guage move more than 5 degrees or so... until yesterday. I'm not sure if it was the situation or if I'm have some kind of problem, but I ran the temp gauge all the way up to the redline yesterday, on the plus side, I didn't boil my coolant. I was pulling about 18.5k over a 3 mile 12% grade in 105* heat and the ran the temp right up. On the way home this morning, I ran unloaded for 350 miles at 80mph and the gauge didn't move from 190ish.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Sean

·
274 Posts
Thats a lot of load %entage on the engine pulling that grade in the summer with that much weight, then runnin today not a big deal even though you were going 80 thats not much of a load on the engine, I wouldn't worry about it.

01 cummins 4x4, edge attidute with juice, banks power pack, bully dog big fuel kit

B

·
0 Posts
Your fine. That was a big load, for a long period, in extreme temperatures. I would be pleased with those results. How was your EGT's pulling that grade?

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was running about 1200* set on stage 2x3 usually I don't break 1100* towing on that setting, but all and all, I was really pleased with that. I think that I might have been better to run low range up the hill, cause I wasn't breaking 10mph anyways.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
sstockton said:
I think that I might have been better to run low range up the hill, cause I wasn't breaking 10mph anyways.
Sean
LOL

Those are good numbers though, sounds like you have it set up about right for towing.:woot:

Bill

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bouncer said:
LOL

Those are good numbers though, sounds like you have it set up about right for towing.:woot:

Bill
Yeah, now I just need a better transmission, put that in and the truck is done.

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
You did well I'd say. No airflow under those conditions?

Bravo

If you run dino oil, consider an oil change. You probably ran it up to 400 F

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the interesting thing, now under normal driving conditions, my truck is showing that it is running about 15* cooler than it ever had been. Is there something other than a broken gauge that would explain this?
Sean

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
Yes. IMO of course.

I have found that gases collect around the thermostats. The reaction of a standard waxstat type motor that is exposed to gas instead of liquid, is to have a higher latency, delay in opening. If the gas is purged through whatever corrective action (there are many), then the ECT reads lower, around the 185 crack temp of the stat.

Some have observed this behavior, after a complete flush, others by drilling a small 1/8" hole in the front stat. It is postulated that gaseous cavitation is the source of the gas. Yet technically this is unproven. Unevolved air can be also, IMO.

Gaseous cavitation is the permanently evolved dissolved gasses being removed from the coolant under low pressure conditions (water pump suction side). By design, these gases are to go to the degas container, and out. It is felt the d-max has a notorious trapped gas cooling system.

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
Vaporous cavitation has not been ruled out, and may be more plausible as well. Vapor formed under low pressure (pump suction) bubbling and rising up through the black bypass pipe to the stat housing. All theory

1 - 10 of 10 Posts