The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was runnin' some welding cable from the battery to my hitch area for a trailer winch power connection and found this thing loosely attached near the spare tire area. Google search, and motorcraft parts search has pointed me to a Sealed Fuel Pump Driver Module, but not the exact part number, nor diesel truck use, only the gassers.

Wonder why Ford would waste money puttin' on unneeded parts?

EE0FA SFPDM 6C2A-9D372-AA 8F17C ZT2MSGKJ3

Attachments

·
606 Posts
Now thats a weird find. It was hooked up? Truck still runs fine?

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no hookup as I'm obvously not a gasser. They did away with fuel return lines in 05 or so, and that driver fuel pump varies the pressure according to demand.

Simply found it odd that Ford would install a $139 part not needed on a diesel.

Adrianspeeder

·
147 Posts
You have the hard-to-find "dual-fuel" model. It runs on gas or diesel. It's just that they didn't finish building it and forgot to remove a part. :)

·
186 Posts
You have the hard-to-find "dual-fuel" model. It runs on gas or diesel. It's just that they didn't finish building it and forgot to remove a part. :)
Oddly enough, dual fuel gas/diesel engines do exist. I have a 1944 vintage generator which has an International UD9 engine that has a carburator, spark plugs and diesel injectors and a dual compression ratio. A very interesting and educational engine to play with.

·
147 Posts
Oddly enough, dual fuel gas/diesel engines do exist. I have a 1944 vintage generator which has an International UD9 engine that has a carburator, spark plugs and diesel injectors and a dual compression ratio. A very interesting and educational engine to play with.
Very interesting. Do you run it, and does it still run on both fuels?

·
186 Posts
Very interesting. Do you run it, and does it still run on both fuels?
I haven't run it recently, but it does indeed purr like godzilla on either fuel.

The basics of it are that it has three valves per cylinder, with the third valve opening to a small chamber with a spark plug. A lever controls those extra valves as well as the carburator, so that when the valve is open the carb is enabled. The open valve adds unswept volume to the cylinder and thus lowers the compression ratio to one suitable for gas.

When it's running on gas and warmed up, you flip the switch for the diesel solenoid and flip the lever over to close the valves and disable the carb. With the valves closed the compression ratio increases to one suitable for diesel.

Interesting bit of antique technology.

·
147 Posts
Very cool! GM is working on an HCCI (heterogenous charge compression ignition or something like that) engine that uses compression ignition for gas after the engine is warmed up. Wonder if it is similar in concept, though it uses gasoline only.

·
606 Posts
The memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember when I was in the Army, the sixty's, our duce and a half ran multi fuel engines. Was told they could run diesel or gas. I drove an APC that had a gas engine, so never had to fuel a truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts