The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 700 miles on my 07 2500 6.7 Mega Cab, i've heard that you should change your oil before you scheduled oil change , due to wearing parts creating metal shavings that could be damaging your engine. Does anyone know if this is true and if so when do you suggest I change my oil.. Thanks

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
never heard of that one before.. i mean you can do it to be safe if you believe it.. but there would be more threads about it if it was true

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not even sure where I heard of it, just wanted to be sure.
I got to get with a budy of mine so i can start pulling a trailer, thinking about pulling 8,000lbs for about 500 miles to help with the breakin process.

·
643 Posts
bigtruck said:
I'm not even sure where I heard of it, just wanted to be sure.
I got to get with a budy of mine so i can start pulling a trailer, thinking about pulling 8,000lbs for about 500 miles to help with the breakin process.

Good move !!! Can`t be bad, would not say that it helps the breaking process but who cares, you`re engine just loves it !!! That`s the point !!!

·
345 Posts
I know that with our CAT tractors we are told to go the full 250 hrs with the break-in oil. It needs to have that oil for a while. I would assume the reasons would be similar. BTW My mileage has gone up to average 17 on hwy trips.

·
432 Posts
bigtruck said:
I got 700 miles on my 07 2500 6.7 Mega Cab, i've heard that you should change your oil before you scheduled oil change , due to wearing parts creating metal shavings that could be damaging your engine. Does anyone know if this is true and if so when do you suggest I change my oil.. Thanks
no u dont need to change it till 5k miles. the ol story of changing breakin oil was true back when they didnt make good oil and oil filter

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet, thanks for the replies they put my mind at ease. Aggie00 i know my truck is still new and I may not be getting accurate or permenant readings and all but i cant get up to 20/21 on highway 13/15 city, not to shaby I think however thats staying between 1500 and 2000 rpm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil is cheap , remember, the new trucks recycle exhaust through the intake...(EGR) change it early and often with CJ-4 oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the replies they put my mind at ease. Aggie00 i know my truck is still new and I may not be getting accurate or permenant readings and all but i cant get up to 20/21 on highway 13/15 city, not to shaby I think however thats staying between 1500 and 2000 rpm
You could do better if you change and use AMSOIL
Message me if interested.

·
3,754 Posts
i change everything around 1000 miles, rear ends and all

·
resident mason
343 Posts
:agreed: Change it. Make sure to put the hammer down hard before you do though. That'll drive the pistons all the way up the cylinder walls and prevent a ridge from forming.

·
432 Posts
firehillbilly said:
:agreed: Change it. Make sure to put the hammer down hard before you do though. That'll drive the pistons all the way up the cylinder walls and prevent a ridge from forming.
not to :poke: but what a piston doesnt top out when at half throttle?? only at full throttle...... just change the oil. u dont have to rag the piss out of the engine to do an oil change. truth be known u all the raw hiding on these engine put a toll on the life of the engine.........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey bigtruck...i see your from jacksonville, NC.....im sorry!!! just kidding, i was stationed down there a little while ago!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lejeune...for about 3 unforgettable years!!! are you in or just live down there?

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i see, no I was stationed there for a good 5 years I've been on the air station for about 3 now though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i hated it there...but i do want to go back and see how much that place DIDNT change...i actually miss Wilmington...thats where i spent most of my time

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's some new stuff on the base, they opend up a dunkin doughnuts on base across from the commisary

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I do change the oil, besides Amsoil what other oil do ya'll recommend i use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dont use royal purple

1 - 20 of 21 Posts