The Diesel Garage banner

first time pulling, any pointers?

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  BogginF350 
#1 ·
ill be pulling for the first time this saturday at clermont county fairgrounds and just wasnt sure what exactly i should do. i know i should be in low. automatic with 3.55's 33" tires...should i put her in second or first? i was thinking second just so i could get enough momentum toward the end of the track. no ladder bars, airbags, blocks or anything like that. just going to be pulling from my ranchhand bumper with a clevis. also dotn have a weight bar for the front. we'll see how it goes, just hoping i dont break anything...except maybe my tranny cuz then ill just have an excuse to get a new one.

#2 ·
with an auto you can shift. dont go higher than 4th. i know my brother got into 3rd last time he pulled. and i know on manuals if its a 5 speed most pull in 4 low 3rd gear. but you can start in low on a manual and shift up, dependin on rpms. just rememeber to downshift at the end of the track to get wheel spped back up.

#3 ·
6LCummins said:
with an auto you can shift. dont go higher than 4th. i know my brother got into 3rd last time he pulled. and i know on manuals if its a 5 speed most pull in 4 low 3rd gear. but you can start in low on a manual and shift up, dependin on rpms. just rememeber to downshift at the end of the track to get wheel spped back up.
No way, manually shift it from 1st to second. 4th gear?? wow. thats overdrive....:damnit It will redline in second for a second or so but when the weight comes on you will be glad you kept it there with those 3.55 gears and 33`s.

#4 ·
actually the ford im talkin about was 5 spd auto. and there were 3 shifts. all by hand. if you dont want to shift on yor own just go in D and when it bogs downshift. that works too.

#5 ·
There is a huge difference between the tq shift and the e4od. With no traction devices I would not let it shift itself. The downshift will cause carnage when the suspension unloads and the torque is reapplied. (you will be picking up your driveshaft when you twist the pinion off) Also the older fords only have 1350 u joints as opposed to the 1410 series in the superdutys which are about 70percent stronger. No pun intended but go with me on this one.

#6 ·
I agree with BogginF350, hang it in a gear. And one lower than you think you can get away with because at the end, when the weight comes on, you need to be able to still spin the tires over or you will break chit. Take a quick glance at the tach near the end and if the rpm's are falling fast, ease off the throttle. A quick unloading of the susp. will get expensive.

#7 ·
BS(im not sober so take this with a grain of salt.) i pulled my bros 97 and i shifted it. dont go higher than 3rd. it if bogs shift down at that pooint.start in low and shift up to 3rd then back down. i took 4th my first pull with that truck. so good luck. sorry if this is a bad post yall.

#8 ·
Not a bad post. Just giving some pointers, seen a lot of broken trucks from first-timers. Some have no problem with shifting issues, but if he is strong and not prepared for it, he will more than likely break something. All input is welcome.

#10 ·
Agreed, I've never heard one shift more than once. Just hang it in a gear and leave it there. If it's not strong enough, back down a gear. If track speed is slow, try something else. Let your first few pulls teach you, don't run thinking you're going to win. See what your truck will do. When you get more comfortable, pound the hell out of it. Just some advice.

#12 ·
the 97 stroker i pulled was 400+, roughly never dynoed. shortly after those pulls it ate its 7th auto. just watch ur rpms and do what you think is right for you and your truck. if u think u can shift up a bit then do it if not go back down. but i know everytime i have seen my brother pull(hes got the auto, i have a manual) he shifts back down at the end of the track. and he usually places top 3. but goodluck and remember to have fun.:)

#13 ·
Hell, I'm still trying to figure out your 6L Cummins! Wanna splain, Lucy? Did you gain .1L or you just rounding up? Inquiring minds want to know!

#14 ·
thanks for all the tips. what do you think the chance is i will break something without traction bars? i dont plan on beating it too bad but i do wanna get a good pull under my belt. one of my dodge buddies is giving me hell about not pulling yet. so i need to show him up lol. i too was also wondering about the 6.0 cummins...

#15 ·
Maybe it's bored .020 over :poke: :muha :roflmao: LOL

#18 ·
OK, I didn't even think about that.

#19 ·
ya most people i know shift once...start in 1st,then 2nd, lock up TC and at the end unlock it to get ur wheel speed up...guess u gotta have a manual VB though..just my two cents....good luck

#21 ·
well i pulled and didnt break anything and didnt come in last. pulled just a little under 200'. i think next time ill just put it in drive and hammer it down. i spent too much time worrying about what gear i was in and shifting and didnt get a very good start. need a tranny and to build some ladder bars before next year though. thanks for all the tips guys.

Dan

#22 ·
Sorry we couldn't be there, we got a late start at the campground on Saturday. 200 ft for your 1st pull is good, I'm sure you learned some things for next time :Thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.