The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a couple trailerloads of pasture run horses (2-year-olds) yeasterday.

250 miles, -15° against a 25 knot head wind. Darned old Ford didn't even know they were back there.

Now, I gotta spend all summer breakin' 'em to ride...................

Allan

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
They do tow very nicely!!! The power is more than ample and I LOVE the manual shifting!!! It came in handy when I was towing home my trailer in the snow last night on side roads.

The only thing I am not at all impressed with is the so called engine brake, I have yet to feel it and not completely sold there is one actually on the truck.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I am not at all impressed with is the so called engine brake, I have yet to feel it and not completely sold there is one actually on the truck.
Really?

That darned engine brake will stand ya on yer nose. :>)

If anything, I at first thought that it was wayyyyyy too aggresive.

Tow/haul OR Cruise Control has to be engaged to activate the engine brake.

Allan

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
Bought a couple trailerloads of pasture run horses (2-year-olds) yeasterday.

250 miles, -15° against a 25 knot head wind. Darned old Ford didn't even know they were back there.

Now, I gotta spend all summer breakin' 'em to ride...................

Allan

I'm here in Denver, staying at the Double Tree for training (UAL is across the street).. the National Western Cattle Show is going on. There's gotta be dozens of similar trailers.. it's truck and trailer heaven (or a nightmare if you don't like that sort of thing) in the hotel parking lot... Great stuff.

·
43 Posts
MPG Reading

I'm here in Denver, staying at the Double Tree for training (UAL is across the street).. the National Western Cattle Show is going on. There's gotta be dozens of similar trailers.. it's truck and trailer heaven (or a nightmare if you don't like that sort of thing) in the hotel parking lot... Great stuff.
What kind of fuel mileage did you get? Dash or Hand Cal.
I haven't towed with mine yet?
Thanks
Don

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
What kind of fuel mileage did you get? Dash or Hand Cal.
I haven't towed with mine yet?
Thanks
Don
well I'm back home now... I have only towed once, the truck has just under 1600 miles on it now, so it's still new.. The trailer was under 8K (Coachmen Catelina) that belongs to a friend. I borrowed it to take the family last month... I only averaged milage on the freeway using the onboard computer... 14mpg at 55-60mph on relatively flat roads.. down from 19-20 unloaded average milage using on board computer again to measure. The trailer wasn't the most aerodynamic shape, which didn't help my cause.

·
43 Posts
well I'm back home now... I have only towed once, the truck has just under 1600 miles on it now, so it's still new.. The trailer was under 8K (Coachmen Catelina) that belongs to a friend. I borrowed it to take the family last month... I only averaged milage on the freeway using the onboard computer... 14mpg at 55-60mph on relatively flat roads.. down from 19-20 unloaded average milage using on board computer again to measure. The trailer wasn't the most aerodynamic shape, which didn't help my cause.
=======================================
Thanks for the reply..
I'm sure the mileage will improve as you get her broke in more. I'm at 7000 miles, just had my first oil change a couple days ago.. 14 mpg is not bad at all, my 05 F-150 I got 5-8 mpg towing my 26' RV trailer on a good day. I hope to get 15 to 16 with mine towing my RV trailer. Not any hills around here to worry about..
DJC

·
43 Posts
=======================================
Thanks for the reply..
I'm sure the mileage will improve as you get her broke in more. I'm at 7000 miles, just had my first oil change a couple days ago.. 14 mpg is not bad at all, my 05 F-150 I got 5-8 mpg towing my 26' RV trailer on a good day. I hope to get 15 to 16 with mine towing my RV trailer. Not any hills around here to worry about..
DJC

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
Really?

That darned engine brake will stand ya on yer nose. :>)

If anything, I at first thought that it was wayyyyyy too aggresive.

Tow/haul OR Cruise Control has to be engaged to activate the engine brake.

Allan
Allan, my truck must not have one. I have yet to feel any form of exhaust braking on my truck. The transmission on the other hand in tow/haul mode works wonderful, just as good as the Alison. But again I do not know if people are confusing the transmission when in tow/haul mode with an engine brake. I have also heard that you need to be in cruise control to really feel it, which if this is the case it has no real world application when it comes to towing on two lane hilly roads. Like I said, I do not think my truck came with one and I am not at all pleased about this little detail.

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Allan, my truck must not have one. ... The transmission on the other hand in tow/haul mode works wonderful, just as good as the Alison. But again I do not know if people are confusing the transmission when in tow/haul mode with an engine brake. ...
the tow/haul mode is not just a transmission mode; it affects the engine, too. the P-stroke tightens down the VGT to create engine braking, just like the GM and Dodges, and just like they have done since '03.

the Ferds do not have a seperate 'button' to engage for folks to fart around with while driving around town.

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
the Ferds do not have a seperate 'button' to engage for folks to fart around with while driving around town.
I surely hope you are not insinuating that I just "fart around". :wtf

I pull a very heavy trailer for my work and my driving is not all done on the interstate. I went down a hill in tow/haul mode with no one in front of me and watched my speed increase over 10mph with ZERO engine braking. Please also keep in mind I hold a Class A and know what engine assisted braking feels like. I will say it again... either I do not have one or the system is very weak.

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
As someone who's farted around more often than towed.. I use the exhaust brake in combination with tow/haul mode to bring the truck to a s stop of slow it down often just to save ware on the brakes.... it's quite handy.. only thing to be mindful of is if someone is following closely behind and doesn't see brakes lights, they don't always react properly.

I towed only once, a smaller trailer and it seems to work fine on mine with or without the cruise control... but I generally don't like to use cruise control with a trailer .. I feel a bit like I'm disconnected from the driving experience and gas peddle input that way.

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
. either I do not have one or the system is very weak.
I would take it in to get it checked... I know someone with a 2011 PSD and his exhaust brake works when out of cruise control... he says it works fine.

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
747MD11... thanks for the reply.

I had to lease an Enterprise Commercial Truck for a few days before taking delivery of my new Ford. It was a brand new Duramax with an engine brake switch and it worked as advertised, I felt it and it slowed the same trailer down while going down hills.

On the Ford there is no switch.. it is all simply magical. Like the DEF fluid level you don't need to worry about it or have any kind of control over it. I will mention it to the dealership when I bring it in for its first oil change.

Getting off topic... are you a Pilot? If so who do you fly for?

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
747MD11... thanks for the reply.

I had to lease an Enterprise Commercial Truck for a few days before taking delivery of my new Ford. It was a brand new Duramax with an engine brake switch and it worked as advertised, I felt it and it slowed the same trailer down while going down hills.

On the Ford there is no switch.. it is all simply magical. Like the DEF fluid level you don't need to worry about it or have any kind of control over it. I will mention it to the dealership when I bring it in for its first oil change.

Getting off topic... are you a Pilot? If so who do you fly for?
No worries on the engine brake thing...

I should have figured you were a flyer too... "no wake"... :damnit

I can't say the name of the company, but lets just say we're a large logistics company with an airline attached to it... you get my drift? :wave

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
Ah... I think I know with those two airframes. I have a friend who flies for your company as well.

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
Ah... I think I know with those two airframes. I have a friend who flies for your company as well.
what equipment are you on? former TWA I take it? I was a new hire at American just before the 9/11 layoffs... sad state of affairs back then.

btw, nice looking truck... I love the white in the snow... wish I had gotten white now after owning black for a couple of months..

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
Thanks... I am a white truck kind of guy. It is my 4th :)

I was with TWA flying the 767 during the merger. It was the highlight of my career and then 9/11 and my furlough number came up in 2003 and been out ever since. Then in between driving 18wheelers I went to another sinking ship called ATA and then jetBlue, but with the pay and time away from home I decided to hang it up.

Trying my hand for a second time as a small business owner... this ride sucks.

I am glad to hear you landed on your feet. My friend (TWA) was worried about furloughs at your company but they never got to his number. I really liked the "job sharing" you guys set up to help preserve jobs.

Reactions: 747MD11
1 - 20 of 38 Posts