The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys In the other thread about our camper being involved in the Ice Storm we have been talking about the detachable cord conversion. Well I have had it on since I got the 5er back on Friday and it seems to work and look great just like it came from the factory with it, so here are the pics.

I Also took a section of 6in PVC and made a storage tube for our sewer hose to free up space in the storage cabinets. And bolted it to the rear bumper..

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
Looks good! My new one came with the detachable power cord but I am curious (as I think others in the other thread were) what all was involved in making the change over??

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good! My new one came with the detachable power cord but I am curious (as I think others in the other thread were) what all was involved in making the change over??
here are the steps it takes...for ours of course..others could vary depending on the way it was built.

cut the power cord about 1 foot from side of camper..

remove the plastic cap from the side of the camper and replace with the metal adapter plate with gaskets included. you may have to drill new holes for it to line up correctly.

strip the black insulation off and feed the 3 wires through the rear plug cover.

strip the 3 wires back about on inch..and land them into the plug for the side of the camper..its color coded for the wires. then install the rear plug cover making sure you have the gaskets in place behind the plug and then you just have 3 screws that you have to put in the plug that holds it in the metal adapter plate.
I took some window silicone around the outside metal plate just to make sure it was weather tight.

for the cord you install the outside cover with the twist lock then you slide the back of the plug on the and strip the cord again and then then 3 wires inside about 1 inch and land them in the plug..color coded again. then you just tighten up the plug and pull the outer part over the plug and your good to go..

The instructions have pics and tell you exactly how to do it for which way your camper was made. it is really pretty easy to do..all you really need is a set of cable cutters, wire stripers, phillips and flat head screw drivers and a drill and drill bits if you have to drill new holes for the adapter plate. I did silicone the holes shut that didn't match up to the adapter plate before it covered them and then ran a bead of silicone around the outer plate.

I know this is a long post but it really is very easy to do and I am very pleased how it turned out.

·
5,365 Posts
boats have been set up this way for YEARS (at least since the mid 60s) for shore power.
Im shocked that the trailer mfg's havent been doing this.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boats have been set up this way for YEARS (at least since the mid 60s) for shore power.
Im shocked that the trailer mfg's havent been doing this.
Some do some don't...it just depends..most if not all of the higher end campers do..ours is more of a mid grade so they do the old style where you push the cord in the side and it is fixed, I guess it helps to keep cost down. but I think this will work out just fine..

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Mine came with this from the factory. For some reason, I don't know why, I was thinking about a retractable type. I like it. Nice to se that there is a kit for trailers that did not come this way. I guess the other style is a hard wired cord. I could see where pushing a cord into a compartment or such would be a problem with a muddy, or wet cord. This way you can store it where you want to. I like the pipe. That seems to be a common storage solution for the hose. Mine has it stored in PVC the same way under the body a few feet in front of the front wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
So with this type of hook up will it keep the cords from wanting to melt together after long stays??? After this past week in FL with the AC in the camper running all the time I noticed that my ext. cord was almost completely melted to the retractable cord that is in the camper (retractable cord is only 2-3 ft long at most)

·
5,365 Posts
So with this type of hook up will it keep the cords from wanting to melt together after long stays??? After this past week in FL with the AC in the camper running all the time I noticed that my ext. cord was almost completely melted to the retractable cord that is in the camper (retractable cord is only 2-3 ft long at most)
sounds like your running an UNDER sized gauge "shore power" cord !

·
25 Posts
you have something wrong if you have anything melting . what is the amperage of the camper 30 or 50 amp ? what size extension cord ? i am a licensed electrician and can tell you that if you are useing the right size cord , this shouldn't be happening .

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
i dont know what size cord I am running but my camper is a 30 amp. The cord came w/ the camper (previous owner) but it is whatever they sell at the camping stores...

·
5,365 Posts
Aaron - somethings not right, please get that thing looked at & figured out...these
things are tinder boxes as it is & id hate to see yours go up in flames or someone get hurt.

you mentioned TWO cords or cords melting together...are you running TWO 30a cords or
are you running extensions or adapters that are "lesser" gauge and could be causing
the over heat ?

smarter guys than i, hang out here & know this stuff...post some photos so we
can help figure this out before your next trip.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
What year is the camper? I am curious if the A/C is drawing more than it should because of age and causing the cord to heat up? It may not be a large enough draw to trip the breaker, but it could possibly heat that cord.

A cord that short shouldn't have issues with heat building because it is coiled. This is why I hate the long "reels" that sometimes get used on worksites. People will put a big draw on it that is ok for the cord if it were fully un wound.

I have also seen cheap "made in China" wires that were the proper gauge on the exterior but had way too few copper strands when the insulation was stripped off.

I am just reaching for ideas right now.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please post pics of what you Have sounds like you may need a new cord and to get rid of what the previous owner has left you with.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
all the wiring is 10/3 on both cables.. .The cables coming out of the camper won't even reach to the end of the camper so they are only about 6-8 ft. This is the reason I always use the extension cord.

·
5,365 Posts
some light corrosion/patina on the blades but that cord should be tossed as its
gotten so hot that its melted and rotted the molded plastic that the blades are
set in.

maybe it was rotted plastic prior and caused a poor connection and heating.

id be surprised if those blades have good solid contact at this point.

did you say the previous owner had replaced the cord or done some electrical
work ?? id check the other end of the cord inside and make sure the connections
are solid and not causing some potential issue.

in the last photo is the round GROUND pin cut off or open on the end ??

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
That last picture is the female end of an extension.

I have seen this often at the campgrounds. I think it's from poor connections, corrosion, etc. causing the cords to heat up. It happens all the time. I know enough about electrical work, but not enough to tell you exactly why and be confident I am right. LOL

The detachable cord is the way to go for sure!

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
some light corrosion/patina on the blades but that cord should be tossed as its
gotten so hot that its melted and rotted the molded plastic that the blades are
set in.

maybe it was rotted plastic prior and caused a poor connection and heating.

id be surprised if those blades have good solid contact at this point.

did you say the previous owner had replaced the cord or done some electrical
work ?? id check the other end of the cord inside and make sure the connections
are solid and not causing some potential issue.

in the last photo is the round GROUND pin cut off or open on the end ??

I know that the cords are melted from getting so hot. That is my hole point of starting to ask questions.. :poke The cord wasn't like this when I started camping this year but only after a few trips... It might have been the AC running and using the microwave at the same time... :haha I know that will trip the breaker some times...

No the previous owner had done nothing to it..

Yeah I am def. going to be doing the detachable cord no matter what. I am just trying to figure it out the problem

·
5,365 Posts
dude i get it, i was just trying to figure out if the cord damage is progressive.
I cant image that occasional use of the m-wave and the a/c would cause this....
that increased load may trip the breaker but that damage is not "periodic" use.

i had these plug together connections...they permit weather and corrosion...and
given that you were in the humid sea/salt air of florida it certainly would be
a contributing factor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts