The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 95 FL70 with a 8.3 cummins, 275 HP and 10 speed trans, 32,000gvw. Runs good. Only problem is sometimes when starting it it fires right up but as soon as you let go of the ign key it will die. When it does this I find that by giving it some throttle while starting and holding the ignition key in the start position for a fraction of a second after it starts it then stays running.

I am thinking it is a electrical problem between the switch and a fuel solonoid and possibly losing electrical current to solonoid when the key is going from start to run position (maybe a relay switch?)?

Any thoughts, suggestions or trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated.

·
1,271 Posts
Hello Dodgefarmer: Not much help with your electric problem. Just a word of encouragement. Several years ago, spent a few days in a straight truck with an 8.3. It was a nice running, decent pulling motor. Best of luck to you...david

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Dodgefarmer: Not much help with your electric problem. Just a word of encouragement. Several years ago, spent a few days in a straight truck with an 8.3. It was a nice running, decent pulling motor. Best of luck to you...david
Thanks. It is stronger then then my IH with a 466 225HP motor and also a 10 speed hauling the same load. The FL70 has the OD transmission and the IH is a non OD trans. The 8.3 will get up to speed under load faster the the 466 even with the OD

·
2,710 Posts
it's the key switch. . . as for power oh yea they got power . . . the 97' FL-70 26,000GVWR but it tows 30-40K routinely no power issues tho i am not the biggest fan of it only having a 5spd-DD non OD trans it seems your always either 1 gear to high or 1 gear to low but you get used to it after a while. . .once you find the sweet points trucks a brute. . .

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
Being a 95, it should still be mechnical injection. Double check idle speed first. Lets make a #0 plate, advance the timing, and crank down on the gov springs. Just swing by my house.:thumbsup

·
PB SHOP FOREMAN
97 Posts
if you can give me the engine serial number i will look on qsol and give you a better idea what to look for without guessing what engine you have.....is it a caps fuel pump or what? on the drivers side front of the engine on the front cover you will see a plate going up and down....the number is on that.....something like 14087653 should be eight digits.........

·
4,827 Posts
I've even had times if I let off of the key too fast, the switch will accidentally go back to the off position. LOL

But, if it is mechanical, I'd check the idle speed as well.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a mechanical pump with electric fuel solnoid. Haven't had the time to check/test it out. We are just running it as is and employees know the "trick" to get it started. When things slow down (like when harvest is over) then will check it out.

·
4,827 Posts
In that case, there should be a relay for the pull-in coil on the shutdown solenoid. Probably has burnt contacts or bad power lead somewhere.

Reactions: Dodgefarmer
1 - 9 of 9 Posts