The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Diggin_Dugger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chevy 3/4 ton pickup that I am making a service truck. I would like to hear your opinions on witch bed is best for this application, since i'm a rookie.

·
391 Posts
What are you going to be servicing? That will have a bearing on your bed choice. I have a flat bed and a service body on my service truck. The service body will give you a lot more storage space, more organized storage, and more security. Because of the price, I would definitely look at buying one used. They can last a long time. I would say the biggest you can afford. However, you are somewhat limited with a 3/4 ton truck.

·
Diggin_Dugger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I am going to use it to service 2 ton gang trucks, dump trucks and water haulers. The 3/4 ton is limited, and I plan on upgrading to a one ton later on. I am hoping when I choose a bed to get one that will fit both so I can keep the bed when I upgrade. I am considering getting a light weight fifth wheel, so I was leaning towards a flatbed. I also like the security and organizing options with a utility bed. My Boss has a flatbed with boxes covering the sides and an extra fuel tank in the middle behind the cab. That poor old dodge is almost overloaded with all the steel boxes. All in all I think the utility bed is the best choice for what I am doing, but idea of building a flatbed the way I want seems pretty nice too. The bed I choose is going to stay with me a while so I want to get it right the first time.

·
1,836 Posts
The best oiler service truck was a flatbed with boxes on the sides and under, nurse tanks in the middle at the front for gas, diesel, lube oil, hydraulic oil and waste oil/ a vacuum pump on the waste oil tank. there was a work space and crane at the rear and a welder and air compressor on top of the diesel tank at the front.

The frame was 1 1/2 ton Dodge with a 383 gas and a 5&2 - after I left I saw the body on a Loadstar International.

I have worked off a flat and a 1/2 ton utility body, I couldn't get the boxes for the flat 1 ton and the 1/2 ton was always in danger of breaking from overload and flopped like a mixmaster.

·
17 Posts
I have a flat bed, 2 Montezuma boxes on driver side, air compressor/generator/welder on pass side, and a diesel tank in the middle of them. There are 4 under bed tool boxes too. Works for me but I need to pull gooseneck trailers too.

I have set all my trucks up in different configs on flat beds. The example above is on my 93 cab and chassis dually w/ 10ft bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts