The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any flatbed plans or know where to get some? I need to put a flatbed on my 4900 and need ideas. I need to put a gooseneck ball so I can pull a horse trailer is about the only criteria that I have for it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I take it you are capable of fabricating it yourself?

The reason I ask is there are so many companies that make nice gooseneck/flatbed combinations-might be cheaper in the long run.

Hopefully you can go aluminum or stainless?

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably could do it myself.... but I would rather leave it to the pros. I just want to see some different plans so I can see what I like, how far braces and stuff like that should be apart, and what gauges of steel should be used. I think I'm just going to have a plain steel bed made...... I don't have a bunch of extra $$$$ because of the trailer I'm going to get. I found a shop that seems to do pretty good work that said they could do a 11ft custom bed with 2 48" tool boxes a gn ball and a 200 gallon water tank for around $3500.

I'll probably pick up a truck trader or something like that and see what I can find in it that will work and compare prices for a while before I do anything.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
$3500 for all that sounds like a smokin deal. Is that installed, or just to build the body?

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed..... I'll probably need to get the water tank myself and have them put it on but it's basically bolting it down. The tanks were in the $150-$250 range depending on the size I want (plastic tank).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do a search for hauler beds, some are close to the price you're getting to build one and they are some heavy duty beds (Western Hauler Style).

I am in the process of making one for a Freightliner FL70 as we speak and I just bought and old steel bed for a normal pickup and went to work on it.
I am having to widen it about 10in and put new side skirts on it as well as make a trough for the gooseneck ball. So far it going good, and I shouldn't have much more than $300 ties up when I'm done.

·
General Contractor
518 Posts
That is similar to what I am planing to do. I am going to fabricate the bed my self but it will be a flat bed dump with a small removable plate that will hide a goose neck ball below the bed. I try to make all my tools the most versatile possible.

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
Check out B&W's site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is similar to what I am planing to do. I am going to fabricate the bed my self but it will be a flat bed dump with a small removable plate that will hide a goose neck ball below the bed. I try to make all my tools the most versatile possible.
do you have drawings for the lift hinge or are you using an old one. I could use a set of drawing if you have them.

·
what does not kill you ..
229 Posts
I am also looking to make a bed. I think I can build what I want rather than settle for a pre built bed. I am sure that there are many great beds out there but I am convinced (it may be a mental problem) that I can do better.

I would like some drawings or plans which of course I will modify for my own needs

wftree

·
General Contractor
518 Posts
I have some sets I cut off some old dump trucks. I will look to see if I can find a set of drawings for a good strong hinge design...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts