The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok need help, got a 3ZJ manual pump 3406 cat. When I first bought Truck (Oct 2017) it would pull about 15 # manifold pressure and no smoke. After driving around 30 days, one day while coming home empty it all of a sudden started pulling 21-22# and trailing a little smoke. Had more power of course so I continued to watch the pyro and nothing over 750 so I continued driving it that way. Skip ahead to last week(Feb 2018), loaded headed west it all of sudden reverted back to only pulling 15# mp and trailing smoke stopped and felt gutless. Came home changed filters replaced transfer pump, checked fuel pressure (45-50+). AFRV plunger was removed to eliminate that, still doing same thing. Can start off leaving driveway and drive 5+ Miles and it’s 21-22# then all of sudden while still pushing accelerator it falls off to 15# and seems to flatline. It has blew my mind why it would go back and forth doing this. Any tips???

·
323 Posts
Hmm. It's like it happens when it hits operating temp.
If you shut it down for a short while (not long enough to cool) what happens?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it seems like when it gets to the operating Temp I notice it also if I stop at a stop sign or get fuel At first it pulls good with high manifold pressure but as soon as I get Rolling good it governors back down

·
515 Posts
Well, if you have taken afr diaphragm out of the equation then ck timing advance and possibly governor flyweights are hanging up. I am assuming you do not have a gated turbo. Governor flyweights can do some strange things before they completely disembark. Ask me how I know. Also, check air charge cooling system when it is low and someone that knows more about air dryers than I do might be able to help you also.

·
323 Posts
Well, if you have taken afr diaphragm out of the equation then ck timing advance and possibly governor flyweights are hanging up. I am assuming you do not have a gated turbo. Governor flyweights can do some strange things before they completely disembark. Ask me how I know. Also, check air charge cooling system when it is low and someone that knows more about air dryers than I do might be able to help you also.
Interesting on the governor ⬆
That would explain things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts