The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shrug: Ok I know there are many topics on here about head gaskets and or problem like puking and all that stuff. Ok I got my tunes from DJ last week, I put on what is supposed to be their tow tune and hooked on to my fifth wheel and headed back home from a job. I watched my gauges the whole way home cause Vivian said everything would be fine if I had gauges. It never got over about 25 p.s.i on my boost and the egt's stayed around 900 but once or twice got up to about 1100 no big deal right? I got home and was backing my trailer in and noticed the truck was slightly loping like? I parked it and seen acouple drops of coolant on the exhaust manifold, I got up this morning and took a look around and noticed I only had alittle coolant left in my degas bottle? But then the truck had not been cranked since yesterday don't know if that matters or not but, I seen some fluid leaked down from under the degas bottle down on just the driver side of the motor is where it's leaking from so I don't think it's my heads. But I want to know if it's my egr cooler or egr, which is supposed to be deleted in all their tunes? Can somebody please help me out?:shrug:

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I know that but it's leaking under the degas bottle like it might be something other than the HG's? I guess you can't use a tow tune when tow something with an SCT.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I talked with my mechanic today and he said that it looks and sounds like I ruptured the egr cooler and not the HG's so that sounds like a plus!:bow: :bow:

·
345 Posts
I had to have head gaskets and 1 head replaced....im not towing with my tunes any more....just not worth it.

·
775 Posts
How much are you towing? Did you tell vivian that you would be towing and how much wt. I just got an E MAIL from dj and they do not recomend a tune on any load over 8500 lb's. I pull 18000lb's and after 2HG's and studs and I kept my pyro under 1250 deg's and boost never went over 26lbs, it would still puke a little with my tow/jake tune so I decided to run my tunes only when i'm bobtailing. Keep it stock when you tow.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that sucks cause everbody else have tow tunes that let you pull your vehicle's maximum weight? That really pisses me off!

·
775 Posts
Rigwelder25 said:
Well that sucks cause everbody else have tow tunes that let you pull your vehicle's maximum weight? That really pisses me off!
Well go and do it, but I lost 2 sets of HG's using a tuner that clamed you could use their max setting when you pull up to your max and I ran it in stage 2. HD-250 uses a tune when he pulls up to 10k I think with bolts and no problems. May be he will come on and explaine more but for me its not worth it. :popcorn:

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I know here awhile back, somebody to me they could write me a mild tow tune for pulling that much weight I don't remember if it was Innovative or Elite but they said it would not be a problem that's why I can't figure out why DJ can't do the same? I know people say they can tow like crazy with the edge what's the deal with the SCT?

·
537 Posts
Dj has great performance tunes! I to have gotten a email from him telling me if I tow just to run stock tunes. However I have a good tow tune form Innovative that I tow my 33' travel trailer with that I like. I have not puked with the ID tune. I did get another tune from another vendor that I towed the travel trailer with and the truck puked then. So to make a long story short. Give Eric a call at ID (Innovative) and have him get you a good tow tune. Or just tow stock.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I do agree DJ does have some good performance tunes but I want just one tune that I can pull my trailer with. It doesn't do good at all on stock trying to pull a 14,000 pound fifth wheel at all! So I might just give Eric a call and see if he can help me out which I hope he can!

·
775 Posts
Rigwelder25 said:
Well I know here awhile back, somebody to me they could write me a mild tow tune for pulling that much weight I don't remember if it was Innovative or Elite but they said it would not be a problem that's why I can't figure out why DJ can't do the same? I know people say they can tow like crazy with the edge what's the deal with the SCT?
Dj can make one, he just feel its not a good idea. Vivian said they pull 15k trailer and they even set their trk to stock and he tunes them. I pull 18k with a stock tune and have no problems and I get 11mpg. Sure it does better with a tow tune(I have ID tunes) but you are really working that drive train hard and after blowing 2 HGs(with a diferent brand of programer) I would rather not push it. This is my only vehical and it has to last me till i'm buried. The life of a retired trk driver.:popcorn: :eek:wned

1 - 14 of 14 Posts