The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the truck today after sitting for a week at the shop and drive to the end of the lot, and back up kinda fast to get somethings out of the tow truck, and the SES light illuminates. Drive to the closest Discount Auto (dont have a scanner to read this new of a truck) in first gear the whole way and they pull P0700 and P0846. Now before anyone flogs me about reading what those codes are, I have!

P0846 Trans Fluid Pressure sensor/switch B ckt range/perf
P0700 Trans control sys malf.

After sitting in the parking lot for ten minutes, the SES went off and never came back on with a ten mile drive home. Trans shifted fine and is showing no probelms now.

My question is, could the fluid have been too cold and me driving in reverse so fast (being an idiot) or the sensor just being too cold for too long have been my problem. Usually the truck sits in a nice garage, but I have left her out for a few weeks to prove to a few at work a Dmax can start in the extreme cold better than there Fords!

Like I said the trans is shifting fine now, but it was acting stupid for a short while, so I am just asking for opinions.

Thanks,
Tony

·
resident mason
343 Posts
That's a weird one. I know if I rev mine up to gov. the speedometer jumps all over and the door bells go off and other crap on the dash lights up. Maybe something in the electrical and not w/ trans? And yeah the Dmax start way nicer in winter than my 6.0 did.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its been outside for two weeks without being started. Hopefully you are right Tom. I was waiting to see what you had to say about this. I am switching to Amsoil in the next week or two, this just makes me want to do it earlier.

Tony

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
Its been outside for two weeks without being started. Hopefully you are right Tom. I was waiting to see what you had to say about this. I am switching to Amsoil in the next week or two, this just makes me want to do it earlier.

Tony
Might want to give transynd a look-see, too.

·
3,939 Posts
I was just thinking....

I seem to remember that MikeL and Merchant talked about the early Allisons having a problem with converter drain-back. IIRC, there was a new valve available....I think Eric usually installs it as part of the Transgo kit when a transmission is upgraded.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duke said:
Might want to give transynd a look-see, too.
I am not a fan of the Transyd, I know some are, but I like the way that Amsoil has performed in everything that I have put it into to include motorcycles. I had it in my 99 6.5TD and the 4L80e trans and it really helped the shifting of that older trans. Not that Transyd is a bad trans fluid, but my father had problems with Castrol engine oil in the 80's so we therefore stay away from it as a family/business altogether (that and Quaker State).:eek:wned

So I will stick with the Amsoil as I have been really satisfied to date thus far.

Back to the trans problem at hand. It has not returned so far, so I am thinking that it was just a fluke. Maybe it was just a cold fluid with no five minute warm up cycle like I ususally give it. Figures that the one time I go outside my normal means of operation and it limps on me. Atleast it is ok and running just fine. I am going to take it easy on it for a few weeks (yeah right) and get the fluid changed.

Thanks to everyone that helped,
Tony

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheBac said:
I was just thinking....

I seem to remember that MikeL and Merchant talked about the early Allisons having a problem with converter drain-back. IIRC, there was a new valve available....I think Eric usually installs it as part of the Transgo kit when a transmission is upgraded.
Does Suncoast install the same thing on their Stage V? I will be buying one next year, thats why I am taking it easy on the engine mods and such this year. I want to make sure the rest of the driveline can handle what I am going to throw at it.

Tony

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
Off topic here but........Tony you should change your Avitar to you towing Ivans truck that day. :pointlaugh By the way thanks again!!! :woot:

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nasty Girl said:
Off topic here but........Tony you should change your Avitar to you towing Ivans truck that day. :pointlaugh By the way thanks again!!! :woot:
You are mean!!!!!!!!! LOL I might just for a little while only.

Tony

·
3,939 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
Does Suncoast install the same thing on their Stage V? I will be buying one next year, thats why I am taking it easy on the engine mods and such this year. I want to make sure the rest of the driveline can handle what I am going to throw at it.

Tony
Yes. Its a standard install, and I think the new valve is part of the Transgo kit. Did you talk to Merchant about his Stage 3 and 4 trannys?

BTW, not to be mean, but you're not the first Dmax to pull a Ford on a trailer with Keith. Just ask him sometime about setting pace in Cincinnati traffic when pulling 10,000lbs of Ford and trailer......scary.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why does that not surprise me about Kieth.

No I have not contacted Eric yet, but I will now that you mention it. I will call him Wed morning. Thanks for the replies guys. Drove the truck all day today with only minor shifting issues all day. I am going to check the fluid level and make sure that isnt an issue at the moment also.

Tony

·
Registered
59 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
Why does that not surprise me about Kieth.

No I have not contacted Eric yet, but I will now that you mention it. I will call him Wed morning. Thanks for the replies guys. Drove the truck all day today with only minor shifting issues all day. I am going to check the fluid level and make sure that isnt an issue at the moment also.

Tony
Sounds like you might have a neutral safty switch going bad. The switch tells the tcm what gear is manually selected to apply the correct shift logic for the trans. If the switch is malfunctioning the digital display in the cluster may not read any gear selection or the incorrect selection. If it is incorrect you probably need the neutral safty switch. When it is acting up the trans won't shift and may have a delayed engagement into gear and hard shift into gear also. This seems to be the most common problem with the allison.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chevycummins5.9 said:
Sounds like you might have a neutral safty switch going bad. The switch tells the tcm what gear is manually selected to apply the correct shift logic for the trans. If the switch is malfunctioning the digital display in the cluster may not read any gear selection or the incorrect selection. If it is incorrect you probably need the neutral safty switch. When it is acting up the trans won't shift and may have a delayed engagement into gear and hard shift into gear also. This seems to be the most common problem with the allison.

Well, its not the NSBU switch at this moment, talked to Allison in town and they said it was the lack of quality fluid in the trans. So I am going to fix that problem here very shortly, just have to pay a few bills first. Next up is the trans and I am waiting to do the engine until I am sure the new head gaskets are sealed properly. I will drop Amsoil in the trans and engine both.

Tony

·
Registered
59 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
Well, its not the NSBU switch at this moment, talked to Allison in town and they said it was the lack of quality fluid in the trans. So I am going to fix that problem here very shortly, just have to pay a few bills first. Next up is the trans and I am waiting to do the engine until I am sure the new head gaskets are sealed properly. I will drop Amsoil in the trans and engine both.

Tony
Sound like a plan. I ran valvoline synthetic atf. Seems like good fluid so far. Sounds like you may be expecting some issues from your head gasket? That sucks, did a shop install the gaskets or did you change them? I've seen questionable work from some shops and am just wondering.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Preferred Chevrolet of LaGrange, IN did the HG's, but with as long as it took and as inexperienced as the tech seemed, I am not sure of them yet. I have a mark on the surge tank, if it drops within th next three weeks then I will take it back. If not, it will have gone four months without a problem, therefor it is ready for Amsoil in my book.

Tony

·
Registered
59 Posts
Duramax engine is not a good engine for a inexperienced mechanic to work on. They even have 3 different head gaskets that they use and may be different right to left. Its very important on these engines to follow the service manual and do everything right. Hope its ok but I'm getting nervous just thinking about it and its not even my truck! Keep a close eye on it and look it over very well. If anything seems strange go right back and at least it will be docummented. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually tow for the dealer that I bought it from and they did the work. So far so good. The tech followed the procedures to the T, but it just took longer than I wanted. I think he knew what he was doing, just was taking time because Preferred had to do it under warrenty. Meaning I think the truck was last on the job sheet for each day that the tech was working.

Tony

1 - 19 of 19 Posts