The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to flush my cooling system soon.do any of you no the part# for the Fumoto drain valves and where to purchase? Also has anyone tried to have a radiator shop dip and clean these oil coolers?
Thanks Ed:fishingboot

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
I haven't seen anyone talk about using a radiator shop to dip and clean things in a while. That's the old school ways. The problem with the oil coolers is they aren't constructed very robustly and they aren't a typical tube and fin heat exchanger, but rather a sandwiched plate design that's bonded together. The biggest issue I see is that these things are subjected to oil pressure and can fail internally on their own, I've replaced them and the cleanup from a failed oil cooler is no joke. The chemicals used to dip and clean radiators is a caustic that typically etches the base materials and solder a bit, and also exposes weaknesses in the heat exchanger. Where you can solder tubes shut on an old copper brass radiator, that's not an option with the oil cooler on a 6.0L, and you really don't want a failure.

Reactions: deereman39
1 - 3 of 3 Posts