The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the deal with the super dutys fluttering i drove my bosses 2002 F250 with a 7.3 and it seemed to be a totally different animal then my 1995 the super duty flutters when it gets into the higher rpm's what is that from?

·
Diesel-a-holic
43 Posts
DBogo said:
what is the deal with the super dutys fluttering i drove my bosses 2002 F250 with a 7.3 and it seemed to be a totally different animal then my 1995 the super duty flutters when it gets into the higher rpm's what is that from?
Do you have the stock downpipe?? Are you talking about the turbo whistlin out the exhaust?

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Sounds like the wastegate opening. You dont have a wastegate on your '95 thats why its so different.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its probably the wastegate, its totally stock and when it gets in the higher rpm's it makes a fluttering noise that my truck dont so its probably the wastegate

·
Registered
460 Posts
Dbogo,

From what little I understand (which isn't much most of the time) I think I can open up some thought on flutter and why you don't hear it on your 95. Think back to when you've seen a kid talking into a fan. Now think of the way your bosses SD sounded. Kind of the same, wasn't it. IMO all flutter is on a SD is the air being "chopped up" by the turbo. The "chopping" action makes a flutter type sound.

The reason most of us w/ the OBS truck can't hear it might be b/c of a few reasons. Either the cat is still functioning properly and the flutter is blocked by the cat gut, OR the stock EBPV is still in place and causes turbulence in the exhaust flow, thus canceling any flutter we might otherwise be able to hear.

I know that ever since I put on a 3" DP and made my exhaust a little more free flowing I can hear a faint flutter if I'm taking off & the exhaust pipe is facing a wall. It's not much, but I can hear it. Now if I ever gut the EBPV it should flutter all the time.

Sounds logical to me anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
he is most likley talking about turbo surge....ats housing is the cure.....

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
mine does the same thing...it just sounds kinda like when u talk through a fan..i think it sound spretty good..mine does it low rpms even with my big DP...Straight piped

·
Diesel-a-holic
43 Posts
When i put my open DP on and straight piped it the rest of the way with 4" I got noticed the "talking in to the fan" effect also :woot:

I'm thinkin bout guttin the EBPV here soon...we'll see what that does...:sly:

-Casey

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup its the talking into the fan sound

·
508 Posts
I had a 95. It was straight piped w/ the stock down pipe and EBV. I could hear a very noticeable flutter at higher rpms w/ the valve open, just like my 2001 SD w/ a 4" exhaust w/ no cat.:shrug:

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
all of them flutter, 94-03, just the nature of the beast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts